Former New York Life Insurance Company Building
Former New York Life Insurance
the building after Hatch's and McKim, Mead & White's extension and redesign
|Location:||346 Broadway, New York, New York|
|Architect:||Stephen D. Hatch; McKim, Mead & White|
|Architectural style:||Late 19th And 20th Century Revivals|
|Added to NRHP:||June 28, 1982|
|Designated NYCL:||February 10, 1987|
The Former New York Life Insurance Company Building, also known as the Clock Tower Building, located at 346 Broadway between Catherine Lane and Leonard Street, in Manhattan, New York City was built between 1894 and 1899. The company's headquarters building, originally built in 1868-1870, needed to be expanded eastward to Lafayette Street and Stephen Decatur Hatch was engaged for the job. Hatch designed the extension, but died before construction could be completed. The firm of McKim, Mead & White took over the work, and completed the extension in 1894, following Hatch's design. The company then decided to replace the original building as well, and McKim, Mead & White provided a "palazzo-like" design with a clock tower whose clock was manufactured and installed by the E. Howard Clock Company.
New York Life left for the New York Life Building on Madison Square Park in 1928. In 1967, the City of New York acquired the building and moved several city agencies along with the Criminal Court, Summons Part there.
In January, 2012 workers began scaffolding the clock tower section above the building (around the actual clock). At this point the metal sculpture seen sitting above the clock in older photos is no longer in place.
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Manhattan below 14th Street
- Robbins & Appleton Building (also designed by Stephen D. Hatch)
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission; Postal, Matthew A. (ed. and text); Dolkart, Andrew S. (text). (2009) Guide to New York City Landmarks (4th ed.) New York:John Wiley and Sons. ISBN 978-0-470-28963-1, p.34
- White, Norval & Willensky, Elliot (2000). AIA Guide to New York City (4th ed.). New York: Three Rivers Press. ISBN 0812931076., p.76
- 346 Broadway Tower Clock
- Department of Citywide Administrative Services
- Media related to Former New York Life Insurance Company Building at Wikimedia Commons
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language