|— Municipality —|
|Region||MIMAROPA (Region IV-B)|
|• Mayor||Jason M. Fabila|
|• Vice Mayor||Elias G. Agustin|
|• Total||26.72 km2 (10.32 sq mi)|
|• Density||250/km2 ( 660/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
Ferrol is located on Tablas Island. It is bounded on the north by Odiongan, on the west by the Tablas Strait, on the east by Santa Maria, and on the south by Looc. It has a total land area of 2,672 hectares (6,600 acres).Onhan, together with Hiligaynon and English, is the medium of communication in business and trade.
- Claro M. Recto
Ferrol was established in 1850 as a barrio of Odiongan municipality by Spanish colonial authorities. They discovered the place some 10 kilometers southwest after repulsing and chasing a convoy of Muslim pirates that attacked Odiongan. The Spanish noted the resemblance of the bay in the vicinity to the bay of Ferrol, Spain, which is the home port of Spain's Maritime Department of the North, hence the town's name.
In 1978, in order to consolidate the Onhan-speaking barangays of Odiongan into one municipality, Assemblyman Nemesio Ganan Jr. authored a bill in the Congress of the Philippines which created Ferrol, together with the barangays of Agnocnoc, Bunsoran, Hinagoman, Tubigon, and Claro M. Recto in a new municipality. Ferrol formally became the 16th municipality in Romblon by virtue of Presidential Decree No. 1492, signed by President Ferdinand Marcos.
|Population census of Ferrol|
|Source: National Statistics Office |
The following are the elected officials of Ferrol for the term 2010–2013:
- Mayor: Jason M. Fabila
- Vice Mayor: Elias G. Agustin
- Vicente P. Gregorio
- Nathaniel M. Sarmiento
- Pedro F. Gelindon
- Dominador D. Gan
- Noe B. Magramo
- Antonio F. Compas
- Lita G. Sarmiento
- Cecilia F. Selosa
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- "Province: Romblon". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010". 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- Profile: Ferrol Romblon Travel Guide. Retrieved on 2012-04-17.
- A DECREE CREATING THE MUNICIPALITY OF FERROL IN THE PROVINCE OF ROMBLON ChanRobles.com. Retrieved on 2012-04-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Ferrol, Romblon|
- Ferrol, Romblon. Nabut.com. Retrieved on 2012-04-17.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System