Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
|Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research|
|Jurisdiction||Federal administration of Switzerland|
|Annual budget||Expenditure: CHF 6.1 billion
Revenue: CHF 271.8 million
|Minister responsible||Johann Schneider-Ammann, Federal Councillor|
The Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research (EAER; German: Eidgenössisches Departement für Wirtschaft, Bildung und Forschung; French: Département fédéral de l'économie, de la formation et de la recherche; Italian: Dipartimento federale dell'economia, della formazione e della ricerca) is one of the seven departments of the federal government of Switzerland, headed by a member of the Swiss Federal Council.
The department was renamed from Federal Department of Economic Affairs (FDEA) effective on 1 January 2013 based on decisions taken by the Federal Council in 2011.
The Department is composed of the following offices:
- General Secretariat, including the Federal Consumer Affairs Bureau FCAB (responsible for consumer affairs) and the Swiss civilian service agency (ZIVI).
- State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (seco): Responsible for national and international economic policy, trade negotiations and labour policy.
- Federal Office for Agriculture (FOAG): Responsible for agricultural policy and for direct payments to Swiss farmers.
- State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation (SERI)
- Federal Veterinary office (FVO): Responsible for animal welfare and health, the safety of food of animal origin and the implementation of the CITES convention.
- Integration Office (see FDFA above)
- Federal Office for National Economic Supply (FONES): Manages emergency supplies of essential goods and services.
- Federal Housing Office (FHO): Responsible for housing policy.
The following independent authorities are affiliated to the FDEA for administrative purposes:
Names of the department
- 1848-1872: Department of Trade and Customs
- 1873-1878: Department of Railway and Trade
- 1879-1887: Department of Trade and Agriculture
- 1888-1895: Department of Industry and Agriculture
- 1896-1914: Department of Trade, Industry and Agriculture
- 1915-1978: Department of Economic Affairs
- 1979–2012: Federal Department of Economic Affairs
- since 2013: Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
List of heads of the department
- Swiss Federal Chancellery. "The Swiss Confederation – a brief guide 2009"
- EAER instead of FDEA: Departmental reform implemented, press release 28 December 2012.
- "Organisation of the FDEA". Federal Department of Economic Affairs. Retrieved May 2008.