|Type of site||Baseball statistics and analysis|
|Created by||David Appelman|
|Alexa rank||15,273 (August 2012[update])|
FanGraphs.com is a website run by Fangraphs Inc., located in Arlington, Virginia, and created and owned by David Appelman that provides statistics for every player in Major League Baseball history. The website, among other things, plots the course of every game, showing which hits and outs changed outcomes.
All major league baseball data on the website, including pitch type, velocity, batted ball location, and play-by-play data, are provided by Baseball Info Solutions.Minor league baseball data are provided by Major League Baseball Advanced Media, and distributed by STATS LLC. All Win Expectancy, Leverage Index, and Run Expectancy data are licensed from InsideTheBook.com. All Ultimate zone rating (UZR) calculations are provided by Mitchel Lichtman. Retrosheet.org play-by-play data prior to 2002 was obtained free of charge from and is copyrighted by Retrosheet.
FanGraphs creates several products:
- The FanGraphs homepage, which contains articles, statistical reports and also covers baseball history as well as current issues and events, including games and series, injuries, forecasts, player profiles, baseball finance, and the player marketplace.
- RotoGraphs is Fangraphs's fantasy baseball advice and analysis section. It originally featured David Golebiewski of ESPN Inside Edge, Marc Hulet, Brian Joura of newyorkmetsdaily.com, and Peter Bendix.
- NotGraphs provides "a place to put things that would otherwise not have a place on FanGraphs".
- The Community Blog is an opportunity for readers to share their writing through FanGraphs. In May 2010 an editorial staff was put in place to guarantee an "approval process" within 48 hours of submission.
- The FanGraphs Library is an encyclopedia of Sabermetric statistics and principles run by Steve Slowinski.
- FanGraphs releases an annual book The FanGraphs Second Opinion: Fantasy Companion that contains statistics and analysis of the past season, in-depth player profiles, team previews, articles on fantasy strategy and forecasts of the upcoming season.
- Hosted by FanGraphs editor Carson Cistulli, FanGraphs Audio is a weekly program archived at FanGraphs Audio.
FanGraphs and NotGraphs
- Dave Allen – FanGraph's expert in spatial statistics and graphical analysis. He began writing for FanGraphs in May 2009 and also writes for Baseball Analysts. Allen is also a Ph.D. student in the department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at the University of Michigan.
- Lucas Apostoleris - Joined FanGraphs in August 2011, leaving Beyond the Boxscore. Apostoleris also writes for The Hardball Times, a personal blog entitled 'Don't Bring In The Lefty' and provides baseball commentary on Twitter as @DBITLefty.
- Eric Augenbraun - Joined NotGraphs in May 2011. He also writes about the Philadelphia Phillies for the SB Nation blog The Good Phight, about race in sports at Big Black Kids, and contributes online to The Guardian about American sports and politics.
- Robert J. Baumann - Joined NotGraphs in October 2011.
- Summer Anne Burton - Joined NotGraphs in October 2011, also writes and draws forEvery Hall of Famer.
- Dave Cameron – Managing editor and senior writer of FanGraphs, Cameron was the co-founder of Ussmariner.com and previously worked for Baseball Prospectus.
- Matthew Carruth – Began writing for FanGraphs in September 2008 Carruth previously wrote for The Hardball Times and ESPN.com.
- Carson Cistulli – Senior writer and editor of FanGraphs. He previously worked for The Hardball Times and writes the "One Night Only" feature. He is also responsible for the Daily Notes.
- Chris Cwik – A graduate of Marquette University and a former Milwaukee Brewers intern, Cwik was a frequent contributor to FanGraphs community blog before joining the staff in December 2010.
- Patrick Dubuque - Joined NotGraphs in May 2011, Dubuque also has written for Pitchers & Poets, The Playful Utopia and SB Nation's Lookout Landing.
- Ben Duronio – Also writes for the Capitol Avenue Club, a Braves blog. Worked with ESPN Stats & Info Group.
- Marc Hulet – Provides articles and scouting reports on minor league prospects, Hulet was named by Sun Media one of the hundred most influential Canadians in Baseball.
- Noah Isaacs – Staff Writer, former intern in Baseball Operations for the Toronto Blue Jays, and creator of theCaliforniaLeagueReview.com.
- Matt Klaassen – Staff Writer, contributor to FanGraphs Audio, Klaasen also works for Beyond the Boxscore.
- Jack Moore – Staff Writer for Fangraphs and contributor to NotGraphs. Moore also created the Brewers blog Disciples of Uecker and contributes to Roto Hardball.
- Joe Pawlikowski – Pawlikowski, also of River Avenue Blues, writes the daily "Morning After" feature.
- Dayn Perry – Senior writer for NotGraphs, Perry is the author of the book Winners: How Good Baseball Teams Become Great Ones (2006) and Reggie Jackson: The Life and Thunderous Career of Baseball's Mr. October (2010).
- David Laurila – Staff writer for FanGraphs, former writer for Baseball Prospectus where he wrote the Prospectus Q&A from February 2006 until May 2011.
- Mike Newman – Joined FanGraphs in September, 2011. Newman, taking over for Frankie Piliere, analyzes prospective major league baseball players.
- Patrick Newman – Covers Japanese baseball for FanGraphs, Newman is the sole writer in charge of following the player movement, general news, and projections for the league. Newman also writes forNPB Tracker, Japanesebaseball.com and Rotowire. He lived in Japan from 2000–2003 and previously wrote for Baseball Digest.
- Alex Remington – Weekly contributor, began writing on FanGraphs in February 2010 and also contributes to Yahoo! Sports.
- Eno Sarris – Began writing for FanGraphs in July 2010. Sarris is also a staff writer for NotGraphs and RotoGraphs. He previously wrote for Bloomberg Sports and Amazin' Avenue
- Eric Seidman – Began writing for FanGraphs in August 2008. He is the co-creator of the Brotherly Glove and previously wrote for Baseball Prospectus.
- Steve Slowinski – Maintains the FanGraphs Library which he calls "your Hitchhiker’s Guide to navigating the universe of sabermetrics". He writes weekly for FanGraphs as well as serving as the editor-in-chief of DRaysBay, writer and editor to the St. Petersburg Times and running SB Nation Tampa Bay.
- Paul Swydan – A graduate of Boston University and the University of Denver Swayden worked 7 years for the Colorado Rockies and has previously written for Baseball Prospectus, ESPN, Rockies Magazine and the Biz Of Baseball. Swydan became a staff writer for FanGraphs in January 2011 where he maintains the FanGraphs Power Rankings. He also writes for MLB.com.
- Tommy Rancel – Began writing for FanGraphs in February 2011. He is also the MLB Insider for ESPN Florida and former writer/analyst for Bloomberg Sports. He co-founded The Process Report in 2010, following his time as the editor-in-chief of DRaysBay.com. He has also written for Beyond The Boxscore, The Hardball Times, and Bright House Sports Network.
- Navin Vaswani – NotGraphs staff writer, Toronto correspondent. A former associate producer with TVO's The Agenda with Steve Paikin, he has previously written for The Globe and Mail and Sports and the City. While with the globe Vaswani toured the United States to see each of the 29 other stadiums in 55 days for a feature entitled Stealing Home. With NotGraphs Vaswani contributes autobiographical essays, article reviews, interviews and poetry. His first article for NotGraphs in November 2010 was entitled "Derek Jeter: The Curse of the Captain," a playful look at the intersection of baseball and internet culture during Derek Jeter's 2010 free agency. In addition to his online work he is currently working on a book based on his experience touring the United States for the Globe.
- Bradley Woodrum – FanGraphs and NotGraphs contributor since March 2011. Woodrum holds degrees from Jacksonville University (B.A. Economics and B.A. English) and Roosevelt University (M.A. Economics). He also co-founded Cubs Stats and writes for DRaysBay and SBN Tampa Bay.
- Jesse Wolfersberger - Began writing for FanGraphs in December, 2010.
- Jeff Zimmerman – Began writing for FanGraphs in March 2010. Zimmerman writes weekly for FanGraphs where he is the expert on player health and injuries and is a staff writer for RotoGraphs.
- RJ Anderson – Now writes for Baseball Prospectus.
- Pat Andriola - Joined FanGraphs in June, 2010 until October, 2010 Before joining FanGraphs Andriola wrote for The Hardball Times (2009, 2010) and, as a student, worked for the Major League Baseball's Labor Relations Department.
- Peter Bendix – Now works for the Tampa Bay Rays as an assisant of Baseball Research and Development.
- Sky Kalkman – Left FanGraphs in 2006, then wrote for Beyond The Boxscore, and now writes for Baseball Prospectus.
- Jonah Keri – Keri joined FanGraphs in January 2011, introduced as having "written for every publication known to man" -- Playboy, ESPN, and Baseball Prospectus among others, the author of The Extra 2%: How Wall Street Strategies Took a Major League Baseball Team from Worst to First (2011). Keri was a staff writer for FanGraphs and NotGraphs until August 2011 when he left to write "full-time" at Grantland.com.
- Erik Manning – Now writes for Beyond The Boxscore.
- Frankie Piliere – Now writes for Scout.com.
- "Fangraphs.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2012-08-02.
- "Terms of Service | FanGraphs Baseball". Fangraphs.com. Retrieved March 18, 2010.
- David Appelman, Fangraphs.com (February 19, 2007). "SI.com – MLB – Behind the numbers (cont.) – Monday February 19, 2007 3:43PM". Sportsillustrated.cnn.com. Retrieved March 18, 2010.
- O'Neill, Brian, "Stats Geek: Statistic sheds new light on Big Hit Theory", Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 5/16/2006, accessed 8/25/2009
- "The Book". Insidethebook.com. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- "Baseball Statistics and Analysis | FanGraphs Baseball". Fangraphs.com. Retrieved March 18, 2010.
- "Apple Features Hawk Ridge". Retrieved May 29, 2011.
- "Baseball Statistics and Analysis | FanGraphs Baseball". Fangraphs.com. 2012-09-28. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- "Rotographs". Beyond the Boxscore. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- "Introducing Notgraphs". NotGraphs. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- "Community Blog Guidelines". FanGraphs. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- "Introducing the Fangraphs Library". FanGraphs. Retrieved May 15, 2011.
- "Second Opinion Fantasy Companion". SB Nation. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- "Podcast | FanGraphs Baseball". Fangraphs.com. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- "Introducing Ottoneu Fantasy Baseball". FanGraphs. Retrieved May 15, 2011.
- "Ottoneau Now Has Prizes". FanGraphs. Retrieved May 15, 2011.
- "Pith Type Linear Weights Explained". FanGraphs. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- "The Baseball Analysts". The Baseball Analysts. 2006-03-20. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- "Dave Allen". University of Michigan. Retrieved September 28, 2011.
- "Reading the Sabersphere: AJ Burnett, Chipper Jones, Colby Lewis, Game Theory". Beyond the Boxscore. Retrieved September 26, 2011.
- "Hi, I'm Eric and This is My Malcolm X Baseball Card". NotGraphs. Retrieved March 4, 2012.
- "Big Black Kids". Big Black Kids. 2011-08-25. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- "Eric Augenbraun". The Guardian. Retrieved March 4, 2012.
- "Introducing New and Better Writers". NotGraphs. Retrieved October 16, 2011.
- "Bicycle History". FanGraphs. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- "Hard Ball Times author archive: Matthew Carruth". The Hardball Times. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- "FanGraphs Audio: What's the Deal with Chris Cwik". FanGraphs. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- "Jorge De La Rosa Stays in Colorado". FanGraphs. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- "Great Moments in Spectacles Rod Nichols". NotGraphs. Retrieved September 26, 2011.
- "Interview: Prospect Guru Marc Hulet Talks Cleveland Indians’ Farm System, Future". Wahoo Blues. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- "Baseball Prospectus - David Laurila". Baseball Prospectus. Retrieved September 15, 2011.
- "2011 Proves Rocky for Rockies Tyler Matzek". FanGraphs. Retrieved September 28, 2011.
- "Baseball in Japan & Around the World". NPB Tracker. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- "Author – Patrick Newman". Japanese Baseball. Retrieved May 25, 2011.
- "These Days, The Waiting Game Doesn’t Pay Off". FanGraphs. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- "Amazin' Avenue, a New York Mets community". Amazinavenue.com. 2012-09-27. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- "The Miguel Tejada Trade". FanGraphs. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- "Appreciating Pat Burrell". FanGraphs. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- "Brotherly Glove". Brotherly Glove. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- "Welcome to the Library". FanGraphs. Retrieved May 15, 2011.
- "Interview with Steve Slowinski". Bloomberg Sports. Retrieved May 15, 2011.
- "SB Nation Tampa Bay - Sports News, Scores and Blogs for Buccaneers, Bulls, Gators, Lightning, and Rays". Tampabay.sbnation.com. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- "The Curious Case of Cameron Maybin". FanGraphs. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- "Edmonds Minor Problem with Kotsays Major Deal". FanGraphs. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- [dead link]
- "Late Night Baseball on the Radio". NotGraphs. Retrieved May 25, 2011.
- "Essay: Hating the Rays". NotGraphs. Retrieved May 25, 2011.
- "Where were you when …". NotGraphs. Retrieved May 25, 2011.
- "The One-Eyed Pitcher, and "Ichiro Goes to the Moon"". NotGraphs. Retrieved May 25, 2011.
- "Blog of Fame". NotGraphs. Retrieved May 25, 2011.
- "The Feast of Willie the Greatest". NotGraphs. Retrieved May 25, 2011.
- "Feast of St. Alexis the Enigma". NotGraphs. Retrieved May 25, 2011.
- "Derek Jeter: The Curse of the Captain". NotGraphs. Retrieved May 25, 2011.
- "FanGraphs Audio: Navin Vaswani, Team NotGraphs". NotGraphs. Retrieved May 25, 2011.
- Steve Slowinski. "DRaysBay, a Tampa Bay Rays community". Draysbay.com. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- "Are Writers Picking Better MVPs and Cy Youngs?". FanGraphs. Retrieved September 26, 2011.
- "Berkman Officially on DL to Start Season". FanGraphs. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- "Ryan Howard’s Odd Decline". FanGraphs. Retrieved September 28, 2011.
- "The Roy Oswalt Decision". FanGraphs. Retrieved September 28, 2011.
- "The Hardball Times Authors Page - Pat Andriola". The Hardball Times. Retrieved September 28, 2011.
- "Front Office Directory". MLB.com. Retrieved May 25, 2011.
- "A Saber-Slanted Baseball Community". Beyondtheboxscore.com. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- "The Success Cycle is Full of Crap". FanGraphs. Retrieved September 26, 2011.
- "Jonah Keri FanGraphs Chat – 8/8/11". FanGraphs. Retrieved September 26, 2011.
- "College and High School Football, Basketball, Recruiting, NFL, and MLB Front Page". Scout.com. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- "Staring Down the Sinkerballers, Part One". FanGraphs. Retrieved September 28, 2011.
- "Florida Marlins Farm System Discussion". FanGraphs. Retrieved September 28, 2011.
- "FANS Playoff Probabilities – AL Version". FanGraphs. Retrieved September 28, 2011.
- "Closer Usage in the AL East". FanGraphs. Retrieved September 28, 2011.
- "The Hardball Times Authors Page - Steve Sommer". The Hardball Times. Retrieved September 28, 2011.
- Official website
- Seidman, Eric, "What’s new at Fangraphs?," The Hardball Times, 1/16/09 accessed 8/24/09
- Studeman, Dave, "Fangraphs going wild," The Hardball Times, 3/15/08, accessed 8/24/09
- Anderson, Chuck, "Decoding Fangraphs: Hitting Stats," Fantastic Gameday, 8/24/09, accessed 8/24/09
- Fangraphs App Description in iTunes App Store, 9/18/09, accessed 10/14/09
- Hawk Ridge Consulting