Doclet programs work with the Javadoc tool to generate documentation from code written in Java.
Doclets are written in the Java programming language and use the doclet API to:
- Select which content to include in the documentation.
- Format the presentation of the content.
- Create the file that contains the documentation.
The standard doclet included with Javadoc generates API documentation as frame-based HTML files. Many non-standard doclets are available on the web, often for free. These can be used to:
- Create other non-API types of documentation.
- Output the documentation to other non-HTML file types such as PDF.
- Output the documentation as HTML with additional features such as a search or with embedded UML diagrams generated from the Java classes.