Devin Mesoraco catching in Philadelphia on 2012-08-20
|Cincinnati Reds – No. 39|
June 19, 1988 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|September 3, 2011 for the Cincinnati Reds|
(through May 15, 2013)
|Runs batted in||30|
Mesoraco attended Punxsutawney Area High School in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, where he was a catcher for the Chucks baseball team. He set school records in walks, runs, hits, doubles, home runs and stolen bases. He was named the 2007 Pennsylvania Gatorade Player of the Year. In that same year, he helped the Chucks win the PIAA Class AAA State Championship played at Peoples Natural Gas Field, home of the Altoona Curve.
Mesoraco was drafted by the Cincinnati Reds with the 15th overall pick of the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft. Mesoraco is widely known by Reds fans as "The Groundhog" from Punxsutawney. He is only the third catcher taken by the Reds with their first pick. In the 2010 draft, the Reds selected catcher Yasmani Grandal with their first pick. He played 40 games for the rookie class Gulf Coast League Reds, hitting .219 in 137 at-bats.
He spent 2008 with the single-A Dayton Dragons. Mesoraco hit .261 with nine homers and 42 RBI in 306 at-bats. He hit a grand slam on July 10 and had a two-homer game on July 21. He also had a four-hit game on August 15.
Mesoraco was invited to big league camp in 2009. However, 2009 was a low point in his career statistically. He hit .228 with eight homers and 37 RBI in 312 at-bats for the single-A advanced Sarasota Reds.
Mesoraco started 2010 with the single-A advanced Lynchburg Hillcats. He hit .355 in 43 games before being promoted to double-A Carolina. He hit .294 in 56 games for the Mudcats, and was again promoted, this time to the triple-A Louisville Bats. He was 12-for-52 in 14 games for the Bats. Mesoraco finished the season with a combined 25 doubles, 26 home runs, and 75 RBI. He earned a trip to the Arizona Fall League, where he hit .242 with two homers and 11 RBI.
Mesoraco is ranked as the top prospect in the Reds organization according to Baseball America. He is also ranked by Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com as the 14th best prospect in Baseball. Some[who?] feel this rating is on the conservative side due some of his struggles in previous seasons.
On July 30, 2012, Mesoraco was ejected from a game against the San Diego Padres for arguing with umpire Chad Fairchild. Mesoraco then proceeded to bump the umpire. He would return to the lineup the next night but left during the game due to dizziness from being overheated. He was placed on the 7-day disabled list due to a concussion the next day. Mesoraco also received a three-game suspension, which he has decided to appeal.
- Devin Mesoraco Stats, Bio, Photos, Highlights | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball. Web.minorleaguebaseball.com. Retrieved on 2012-04-16.
- Prospects: Rankings: Organization Top 10 Prospects: 2012 Cincinnati Reds Top 10 Prospects. BaseballAmerica.com (2011-11-16). Retrieved on 2012-04-16.
- Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | Top Prospects: Devin Mesoraco, C, Reds – Video | MLB.com: Multimedia. Mlb.mlb.com (2012-01-19). Retrieved on 2012-04-16.
- Mesoraco set for September callup by Reds | reds.com: News. Cincinnati.reds.mlb.com. Retrieved on 2012-04-16.
- Devin Mesoraco bumps ump ESPN.com. Retrieved July 31, 2012
- Snyder, Matt. Devin Mesoraco suspended three games for making contact with umpire; files appeal cbssports.com. Retrieved August 2, 2012
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
-  – Devin Mesoraco Stats, Bio on MiLB.com