David Lloyd Leisure
|Industry||Health club, gym|
|Headquarters||Hatfield, Hertfordshire, England|
|Number of locations||90 total
80 in the UK
10 across Europe
|Area served||UK, Europe|
|Owner(s)||London & Regional Properties|
David Lloyd Leisure is a British sports, health and leisure business that runs health clubs and gyms across Europe.
David Lloyd established David Lloyd Leisure in 1990 and opened the first club, aimed at providing a family orientated, high quality fitness and leisure facility. This was somewhat distinct from the traditional gyms and sports centres of the time. There was also an emphasis on racquet sports.
Acquisition by Whitbread PLC
By 1995, there were 18 David Lloyd Leisure clubs when Whitbread PLC acquired the company for £182 million, incorporating it into its Restaurants & Leisure Division. David Lloyd remained as managing director of the division until 1996.
Acquisition by London & Regional Properties
Whitbread ran more than 50 David Lloyd Leisure (DLL) clubs in the UK and Northern Ireland with a further number in Spain, the Netherlands and Belgium. However, by the mid-2000s, the business was giving Whitbread a poor financial return, and on 2 August 2007 they sold it to London & Regional Properties and Bank of Scotland for £925 million. Whitbread used the proceeds from the sale to repay debt.
London & Regional Properties already owned and operated Next Generation Clubs; the businesses were merged under the Next Generation Clubs' management team led by Scott Lloyd. As of 2013[update], Scott Lloyd remains the current CEO.
DLL is Britain's biggest tennis operator and manages more than 500 tennis courts. There are 80 clubs in the UK and a further 10 across the rest of Europe.
- Whitbread sells David Lloyd gyms, BBC News, 4 June 2007. Retrieved 15 July 2011.
- Osborne, Alistair (2 September 2005). "Leisure boss ousted over poor figures". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 15 July 2011.
- "London & Regional Properties and Bank of Scotland acquire David Lloyd Leisure Ltd". Press release. Next Generation Clubs. 5 June 2007. Archived from the original on 2007-10-08. Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "Senior Leadership Team". David Lloyd Leisure. Retrieved 15 July 2007.
- "About". David Lloyd Leisure. Retrieved 2013-04-20.