Daughter - Remi Aguilella, Elena Tonra, Igor Haefeli (L to R) at Willie Nelson's ranch in Luck, Texas during South by Southwest. Photo by Ron Baker (2012).
|Genres||Indie folk, folk rock|
Glassnote Records (US)
Daughter is an English indie folk band originating from London in 2010. Originally the solo work of Elena Tonra, they are now a trio with the addition of guitarist Igor Haefeli and drummer Remi Aguilella. After releasing three EPs in 2010 and 2011, they were signed by 4AD and released their first full-length album, If You Leave, in March 2013.
After their first demo started word of mouth on the band, Daughter self-released their debut EP, His Young Heart, on April 20, 2011. Later that same year, they released another EP, The Wild Youth, on October 2 through artist-led Communion Records. The latter EP earned praise from British website For Folk’s Sake who described Daughter as "one of the most unique sounds in the pop landscape today."BBC Radio 1 DJ Huw Stephens also invited them to perform a Maida Vale Session for his show.
In 2012, shortly after headlining a 700-capacity show at the Assembly Hall in North London, Daughter announce their signing to prestigious UK label 4AD. Speaking of this, Elena commented "we couldn’t be happier to be working with 4AD, a label that has released so many inspirational records and whose ethos we hold in very high regard. It really is a privilege."  Their first single proper, "Smother", was released in October of that year. It was playlisted by both BBC Radio 1 and 6Music, while being awarded Single of the Week by long-time supporter Huw Stephens.
The band released their debut album, If You Leave, in March 2013 (May in North America). Charting at Number 16 in the UK, it was also received favourably in the press; "An album as beautifully conceived as If You Leave is one you follow from start to finish, riveted by the story it weaves and the emotion it bleeds. And in these digital days that feels like a remarkable achievement" Drowned In Sound said in their 9/10 review, while The Fly in a 4/5 album review said that it's "word-in-the-ear intimate and mountain-range massive."
Features in other media
The band's song "Youth" was played in an advertisement for the Tour de France on UKTV; also to advertise the series Fight Club: A History of Violence on the UKTV historical channel Yesterday. Their song "Medicine" has been featured on the US show The Vampire Diaries.
The band's song "Home" has been featured on the US show Grey's Anatomy in episode four of season nine.
"Smother" has been featured on The Vampire Diaries, Episode 405 "The Killer".
Also, their songs "Youth" and "Love" were featured in season 6 of the British teen drama Skins in episodes 8 and 9, respectively.
Most recently, "Landfill" appears in the season 2 finale of Suburgatory.
"Youth" remixed by Alle Farben.
- Demos EP (Self-Released, 2010)
- His Young Heart EP (Self-Released, 2011)
- The Wild Youth EP (Communion, 2011)
Members↑Jump back a section
- "Daughter – The Wild Youth". For Folk's Sake. 28 Nov. 2011. Retrieved 16 Dec. 2012.
- "Daughter in session at Maida Vale". BBC Radio 1. 29 Sep. 2011. Retrieved 16 Dec. 2012.
- "Daughter Sign to 4AD". 4AD. 19 Apr. 2012. Retrieved 16 Dec. 2012.
- "Killers live, Daughter on the phone, Huw lookalikes". BBC Radio 1. 16 Sep. 2012. Retrieved 16 Dec. 2012.
- "Drowned In Sound Album Review".
- "The Fly Album Review".
- Wideroe - Grandpa's magic trick - english version. Widerøes Flyveselskap. 7 Sep. 2012. Retrieved 16 Dec. 2012.
- Nudd, Tim (2 Oct. 2012). "The Spot: Airline to Heaven McCann Oslo brings the magic back to air travel with a spot for a Norwegian carrier". Adweek. Retrieved 16 Dec. 2012.