Dasari Narayana Rao
|Dasari Narayana Rao|
May 4, 1947 |
Dasari Narayana Rao (born 4 May 1947), Palakol, West Godavari, Andhra Pradesh, India) is an Indian film actor, director and producer in Telugu cinema and a Politician. Dasari Narayana Rao has directed about 150 films, including Bollywood. He produced 53 films and worked in more than 250 films as a dialogue writer and as a lyricist. In 1983, he directed Meghasandesam which received critical acclaim at the Indian panorama, Chicago, Cannes and Moscow film festivals.
Beside graduating with a BA degree, he used to take part in scores of drama competitions. He was soon recognised as a potential stage artiste, screenwriter and director. During his career he has also acted in Telugu, Tamil, and Kannada languages. He has introduced actors and directors like Mohan Babu, R. Narayana Murthy, Raviraja Pinisetty, Mutyala Subbaiah etc. to Telugu film industry.
Early life and Journalist Career
During Rajiv Gandhi period, Dasari took active election campaigning for the Indian National Congress. After the assassination of Rajiv gandhi, he felt he was being distanced in the party circles. In the late 1990s, he planned to start his own political party Telugu Talli.
Later, Dasari was elected to the Rajya Sabha He became the Minister of state in Ministry of Coal. Said to be a confidante of Congress President Sonia Gandhi, Dasari once again became active in politics after Congress Party came back to power in 2004.
- Special Jury Award / Special Mention (Feature Film) - Kante Kuthurne Kanu - 1998
- National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Telugu - Meghasandesam - 1982
- Kante Kuthurne Kanu - 1998
- Bangaru Kutumbam - 1994
- Meghasandesam - 1982
- Swargam Narakam - 1975
- Samsaram Sagaram - 1973
- Tata Manavadu - 1972
- Filmfare Best Director Award (Telugu) for the films Gorintaku (1979),Premabhishekam and Osey Ramulamma (1997).
- Filmfare Best Film Award (Telugu) - Meghasandesam (1982).
- Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award - South - 2001.
- Other Awards
- Vamsee Berkeley, Kalasagar, Siromani, Madras Film Fans Awards and Cine Herald Awards
- Jyothi Chitra Super Director Award - six times
- Ancient Andhra Patrika Best Director Award - six times
- Sobhan Babu first memorial award in 2009
- The Hindu : Andhra Pradesh / Visakhapatnam News : Maruti showroom inaugurated
- Dasari Narayana Rao lashes out - Times Of India
- Jun 30, 2011 - Ranjana Dave (2011-06-30). "The meaning in movement". The Asian Age. Retrieved 2012-09-04.
- Dr. DasariNarayanarao Open Heart With RK Abn Andhrajyothy - YouTube
- Dasari to expose some film personalities - The Hindu
- Union Minister Dasari Narayana Rao's son kidnapped - Hindustan Times
- Telugu movie 'Tata Manavadu' will complete 40 years on Mach 23, 2013
- The Hindu Business Line : Dasari Narayana Rao portfolio changed
- NTR National Award to Dasari Narayana Rao and Raghupathi Venkaiah Award to Tammareddy Krishnamurthy for 2007