||This section needs additional citations for verification. (June 2010)|
|Awarded for||the best college football player in the state of Mississippi|
|Presented by||Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame|
|Currently held by||Austin Davis, Southern Miss QB|
Sixty media representatives from across Mississippi determine the Trophy recipient. All players at Mississippi's four-year college football programs are eligible on the first ballot. The top three vote-getters are listed in a second and final ballot.
Voters are instructed to evaluate a player's entire regular season performance and ignore post-season honors or professional potential
The Conerly Trophy is a bronze casting, 19" high x 11" long x 7.5" wide, weighing 18.5 lbs. (8.4 kg). The original trophy is on permanent display at the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum. A replica of the trophy is presented to the winner each year at the announcement dinner.
The award was begun in 1996. Cellular South has sponsored since 1998, with a contract that extends to June 2010. Previous presentations have been held in Jackson, Clarksdale, Tunica and Biloxi. The namesake of the award is Mississippi-born Charlie Conerly who also starred as quarterback at the University of Mississippi, and was later a pro-bowler for the New York Giants
Winners and finalists
1996: Tregnel Thomas (Delta State, running back)
- Finalists: Ashley Cooper (Mississippi State, defensive back), Adalius Thomas (Southern Miss, linebacker)
2000: Josh Bright (Delta State, quarterback)
- Finalists: Dicenzo Miller (Mississippi State, running back), Fred Smoot (Mississippi State, defensive back)
- Finalists: Scott Eyster (Delta State, quarterback), Jerious Norwood (Mississippi State, running back)
- Finalists: Anthony Dixon (Mississippi State, running back), Titus Brown (Mississippi State, defensive end)
- Finalists: Dexter McCluster (Ole Miss, running back/wide receiver), Adam Shaffer (Mississippi College, quarterback)
- Finalists: Johnthan Banks (Mississippi State, defensive back), Charles Sawyer (Ole Miss, defensive back), Casey Therriault (Jackson State, quarterback), Micah Davis (Delta State, quarterback)
Trophies won by school
|2 (tie)||Mississippi State||4|
|2 (tie)||Southern Miss||4|
- Eli Manning won 2; one in 2001 and the other in 2003.
- "Cellular South Outstanding Player Awards". Cellular South Outstanding Player Awards. Retrieved 2009-08-05.