Community for Democracy and Rights of Nations
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2009)|
The Community for Democracy and Rights of Nations (Russian: Сообщество за демократию и права народов), also commonly known as Commonwealth of Unrecognized States, rarely as CIS-2 (Содружество непризнанных государств, СНГ-2) is an international organisation uniting several states in the former Soviet Union, all of whom have limited recognition from the international community.
The Community for Democracy and Human Rights was established 14 June 2006 in Sukhumi, Georgia (Administered and claimed by the mostly unrecognised Abkhazia, which claims independence from Georgia) by the leaders of the partially recognized governments of:
- Abkhazia represented by Sergei Bagapsh
- South Ossetia represented by Eduard Kokoity
- Transnistria represented by Igor Smirnov.
- Nagorno-Karabakh started to participate later.
On 17 June 2007, the four-state Community for Democracy and Peoples' Rights signed in Tiraspol – the capital of Transnistria – the joint Declaration on principles of peaceful and fair settlement of the Georgian-Abkhazian, Georgian-Ossetian, Azeri-Karabakh and Moldovan-Transnistrian conflicts. It calls for barring all types of pressure, such as military deployments, diplomatic isolation, economic blockades, or information wars, during negotiations toward resolution of conflicts. It also calls for external guarantees to eventual political settlements of these conflicts.
On 27 September 2009 the members of the Community for Democracy and Peoples' Rights agreed to abolish the visa regimes for their citizens. The agreement will come into effect one month after its ratification by all three parliaments. It will last for five years, after which it will automatically be extended for another five-year term. This agreement excludes Nagorno-Karabakh, who reserved the right to join this agreement at a later date.
- "Transnistrian Time-Slip" by Frank Jacobs, New York Times May 22, 2012
- "Бум суверенитетов" – 2007-01-23, retrieved 2008-08-31
- "Южная Осетия, Абхазия и Приднестровье договорились упразднить между собой визовый режим" (in Russian). Caucasian Knot. 2009-09-27. Retrieved 2009-10-03.
- (Russian) Community for Democracy and Human Rights official website
- Joint Statement by Pridnestrovie, Abkhazia and South Ossetia