Columbia High School (Lake City, Florida)
|Columbia High School|
|469 SE Fighting Tiger Dr
Lake City, Florida, Columbia County, 32025
|School type||Public High School|
|School district||Columbia County School District|
|Principal||Terry L. Huddleston|
|Asst. Principal||Donnie Harrison,
|Hours in school day||6 Hours, 10 Minutes|
|Feeder schools||Lake City Middle School,
Richardson Middle School
|Website||Columbia High School|
Columbia High School (CHS) is a four-year public high school located in Lake City, Florida. The school's mascot is the Fighting Tigers and the colors are purple and gold. There were 1729 students and 98 teachers in 2006
Extra curricular activities at the school include the Academy of Graphic Design, Athletics, Band, Color Guard, a chapter of Future Farmers of America in 1969, 1998 & 2003; made it to the Quarter-Finals in 1975, 1982, 1984, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1999, 2001 & 2002.
The Columbia High School Marching Band has been ranked superior in the Florida Bandmasters Association's Marching Performance Assessment for 16 years.
- Jerome Carter, NFL strong safety for the St. Louis Rams. At Columbia, Carter was named the top player in the state by The Gainesville Sun, and the Class 5A Player of the Year by the Florida Association of Coaches.
- Kendyll Pope, former NFL linebacker who played for the Indianapolis Colts. At Columbia, Pope was selected for the USA Today All-American first team and as a Parade All-American.
- Pat Summerall, an All-State selection in football and basketball for Columbia High School in the 1940s and the 1946 individual state tennis runner-up. Went on to play 10 seasons in the NFL for the then-Chicago Cardinals and the New York Giants, before starting his career as a broadcaster.
- Reinard Wilson was an American football linebacker in the National Football League. He was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals 14th overall in the 1997 NFL Draft. He played college football at Florida State.
- Yatil Green was an American football wide receiver at the University of Miami, then was selected by the Miami Dolphins in the 1st round (15th overall pick) of the 1997 NFL Draft.
- Sampson Genus, NFL center for the Green Bay Packers
- Michael Kirkman, Pitcher for the Texas Rangers
- Lake City Chamber of Commerce website: Columbia County Community Profile
- Football 2006-07 Championship Records, FHSAA, updated November 16, 2006
- Boys Basketball 2006-07 Championship Records, FHSAA, updated January 3, 2007
- National High School Hall of Fame Inductees, accessed March 18, 2007
- Boys Track and Field 2005-06 Championship Records, FHSAA, updated January 20, 2006
- Jerome Carter, SS, Florida State, USA Today, May 18, 2005
- 1998 All-USA Team, USA Today, accessed March 18, 2007
- Kendyll Pope player profile, Indianapolis Colts, accessed March 18, 2007
- "The voice is familiar.... (Pat Summerall, Super Bowl broadcaster)", Sports Illustrated, January 26, 1987. "His principal home is in the same north Florida town, Lake City, where he grew up as one of the best schoolboy athletes the state has ever known.... They lived a block from the Columbia High School football field, where he would later star. Summerall went on to a 10-year career in the NFL as a two-way end and kicker."
- Birdsong, Gaines, Summerall, Sutton headline Florida High School Athletic Hall of Fame’s 2006 induction class, FHSAA press release dated February 22, 2006