Church of St. Nicholas, Grosmont
|St Nicholas, Grosmont|
St Nicholas, Grosmont
|Denomination||Church in Wales|
|Vicar(s)||Rev. Dr. Jean Prosser|
St Nicholas in the village of Grosmont, Monmouthshire, Wales, is a 13th-century parish church rescued from dereliction in the nineteenth century. It is a Grade I listed building as of 1 September 1956.
History and architecture
The church is a "noble Early English building crowned by an octagonal Decorated tower and spire". It is built of Old Red Sandstone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. In the late 19th century the church was close to collapse and was saved through an extensive reconstruction in 1869–79 by J. P. Seddon. The work was largely funded by John Etherington Welch Rolls of The Hendre, a local landowner and benefactor.
The interior is "a shock to the modern visitor who encounters an uncluttered medieval interior dominated by the arcades and roof". The unfurnished nave demonstrates the "strong early thirteenth century arcades to the full".Tree-ring dating of the timbers which form the roof show that they were felled in the period 1214–1244, which confirms the exceptionally early date of the roof's construction. It is considered "the only surviving pre-1400 church roof in Wales".
A stained-glass window in the chancel commemorates John Etherington Welch Rolls. In the transept is an unfinished memorial to a knight, dating from the late 13th or early 14th century – "a rare survival of great technical interest".
Morning prayers at held at the church each Tuesday, as are occasional Sunday services.
- The Buildings of Wales:Gwent/Monmouthshire, page 236
- Good Stuff IT Services (1956-09-01). "Church of St Nicholas - Grosmont - Monmouthshire - Wales". British Listed Buildings. Retrieved 2012-02-12.
- "St Nicholas' Church, Grosmont | Site Details". Coflein. 2003-09-17. Retrieved 2012-02-12.
- "Works at Church of St Nicholas, Grosmont, Monmouthshire in Stained Glass in Wales". Stainedglass.llgc.org.uk. Retrieved 2012-02-12.
- "Episode 2, Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales". Rcahmw.gov.uk. Retrieved 2012-02-12.
- The Buildings of Wales:Gwent/Monmouthshire, page 237
- The Buildings of Wales:Gwent/Monmouthshire, page 238
- "St Nicholas Church » Grosmont Village". Grosmont.org. Retrieved 2012-02-12.