13 February 1953|
|Occupation||Bulgarian scientist and polar explorer|
Prof. Pimpirev is a doyen of the Bulgarian Antarctic Program, He took part in the first Bulgarian Antarctic Expedition during the 1987/88 austral summer, and has been the leader of the annual Bulgarian scientific campaigns in Antarctica, he became the founding father of the Bulgarian Antarctic Institute (BAI) and is Chair of EXCOM since 1993 up to now. He is also a Director of the National Center for Polar Research from 2007 up to now.
The discovery of the Upper Tithonian ammonite in 2003, in the vicinity of the Bulgarian Antarctic base, revealed itself to be one of Pimpirev’s most satisfying scientific career achievement. Indeed, the breakthrough that occurred there changed the established knowledge of the evolution of the Gondwana continent.
He has participated in research expeditions to Mount Ama Dablam, Nepal Himalayas in Speleological expedition in China Karst Plateau in a project for gold searching in Vietnam, in Colombian Andes research, in Canadian-Bulgarian expedition to Ellesmere Island, Canadian Arctic.
Christo Pimpirev is teaching Historical Geology and Palaeogeography, he has been a lecturer in the United States, Portugal, Uruguay, Chile, Colombia, Germany, Spain, Argentina, Canada, South Korea and many others countries. He is an author of 5 books, 6 popular science films and more than 150 scientific publications in leading Bulgarian and foreign magazines.
He is the first official representative of Bulgaria who visited South Pole - on January 8, 2013. Prof. Pimpirev steps on the southernmost point of the planet as member of an international expedition dedicated to the 100th anniversary of the conquest of the South Pole from Roald Amundsen and Robert Scott.
Membership in International Organizations
- Representative of the Republic of Bulgaria in the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR)  since 1994.
- Representative of the Republic of Bulgaria to the Council of Managers of National Antarctic Programs (COMNAP) since 1994, EXCOM member in the period 2006-2009.
- Representative of the Republic of Bulgaria in the Antarctic Treaty Consultative Meetings(ATCM)  since 1995.
- Representative of the Republic of Bulgaria in the European Polar Board (EPB) since 2001, EXCOM member in the period 2009-2012.
- Order of Saints Cyril and Methodius (1st Class)
- Highest Mongolian state order "Polar Star" - for merits in the creation of Mongolian Antarctic Institute and laying the foundations of Mongolian research in Antarctica
- Jubilee Medal of Sofia University "St. Kliment Ohridski" (1st Class)
- "Golden Book" for contribution to the development of the Bulgarian Science and Culture
- First winner of the Honorary badge for contribution to Bulgarian national ideals established by VMRO
- Honorary Citizen of Lyaskovets town
- Kamenov B. c. Pimpirev 1993. Touching the Antarctic St. Kliment Ohridski University Press, Sofia
- Pimpirev, Ch., Balabanski, D. 1998. Ice magic, St. Kliment Ohridski University Press, Sofia
- Pimpirev, Ch., Davidov, N. 2003. Antarctica: The Extreme South. St. Kliment Ohridski University Press, Sofia
- Pimpirev, Ch., 2010. History of the Earth, St. Kliment Ohridski University Press, Sofia
- Pimpirev, Ch., 2013. Antarctic Diaries, St. Kliment Ohridski University Press, Sofia
Popular science films
- "Expedition to Antarctica" - National Television, Atlas Program (1988) - author
- "Bulgaria in Antarctica" - National Television, Atlas Program (1994) - author
- "Southern Summer" - National Television, Atlas Program (1995) - author
- "Bulgaria on two oceans" - National TV, Atlas program (1996) - scriptwriter
- "Under the Sign of the Southern Cross" - National Television (2006) - writer
- "Antarctica 2012" - Films Author (2012) – consultant
- Works by or about Christo Pimpirev in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Hristo Pimpirev: It is great honor for me to be the first to take Bulgarian flag to South Pole, FOCUS News Agency, December 29, 2012
- Antarctica to Host Permanent Settlements in 50 Years, www.novinite.com, July 31, 2012
- New Year’s Eve in Antarctica, Tania Harizanova, Radio Bulgaria, December 27, 2012
- Bulgaria is respected nation in Antarctica and has excellent relations with other Antarctic nations, FOCUS News Agency, October 03, 2011
- Foreign Policy Is Made in Antarctic Too, Standart Newspaper, April 5, 2004
- Dreams Are Sweetest in Antarctica, Standart Newspaper, January 27, 2004