Central University of Orissa, Koraput
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (November 2012)|
|Central University of Orissa|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof.(Dr.) Surabhi Banerjee|
|Location||Koraput, Orissa, India|
The Central University of Orissa was established by parliament under the Central Universities Act, 2009 (No. 3C of 2009) by Govt. of India, situated at Koraput Town, Koraput district in the Indian state of Orissa. The territorial jurisdiction of the Central University of Orissa is the whole of the Orissa.
The university was established by parliament under the Central Universities Act. It is one of 15 new Central Universities established by the Government of India during the UGC XI Plan period to address the concerns of “equity and access” and as per the policy of the Government of India to increase the access to quality higher education by people in less educationally developed districts which have a Graduate Enrollment Ratio of less than the national average of 11%.
Koraput District of Orissa comes within the KBK region (Koraput, Bolangir and Kalahandi) which is as an underdeveloped region of the State of Orissa. These three districts of the state are known for tribal culture, because the majority of the people here belong to ST and SC categories. Since there was no university set up in this region the Central University was proposed. Prof. (Dr.)Surabhi Banerjee is the first Vice Chancellor of Central University of Orissa. Prof. Ajit K. Mishra is the Registrar.
The site is located in village Chikapar and Chakarliput coming under Sunabeda NAC (Urban area). It is close to Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), Sunabeda. A road constructed over the acquired land of Indian Navy for the purposes of the Naval Armament Depot joins the proposed site from N.H. 43 at the point of Sunabeda Junction-1 (about 6 km.). Dumuriput railway station is 5 KM from Sunabeda-1 Junction. Damanjodi railway station is 15 km. Koraput railway station is 25 km. The land size is 450 acres spreading over village Chikapar (Ac. 310.96) and the adjoining Chakarliput (Ac. 139.13).
School and centres
School of Social Sciences
- Centre for Sociology, Anthropology and Tribal Studies
- Centre for Social Work
- Center for Geography
- Center for Psychology & Behavioral Science
- Center for Public policy and Administration
- Centre for Philosophical Studies
- Centre for Women's Studies
School of Languages
- Centre for Oriya, Hindi, and Oriental Languages
- Centre for English and Foreign Languages
- Centre for Translation Studies
School of Basic Sciences & Information Sciences
- Centre for Mathematics, Statistics,Computer Sciences & IT.
- Centre for Life Sciences
- Centre for Physical Sciences
- Centre for Mineralogy, Metallurgy, and Material Sciences
School of Development Studies
- Centre for Economics
- Centre for Development Management
- Centre for Journalism & Mass Communication
School of Health Sciences
- Centre for Nursing & Allied Health Sciences
- Centre for Public & Community Health
School of Biodiversity & Conservation of Natural Resources
- Centre for Biodiversity & Conservation of Natural Resources
- Center for Disaster Science and Management
The library has 8000 books. The library resources comprise encyclopaedias, dictionaries, general collections, source books, critical works as well as skills-related books on Personality Development, Time Management and Communication Skills. Soon the library will subscribe to research journals, besides subscribing to daily news papers and magazines. The library runs in a temporary campus at Central Silk Board Building, Landiguda, Koraput. The Central Library, Central University of Orissa, Koraput provides access to information for the students.
Bijayananda Pradhan - Assistant Librarian & In charge Rudra Narayan - JPA, Library Mukunda Khillo - Library Attendant
- Books: 8107
- Newspapers: 17 (10 English daily, 7 Oriya daily )
- Magazines: 27
- Journals: 42 (print) + 2500 (E-journals)