Center High School (Antelope, California)
||This article is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (August 2010)|
||This article uses bare URLs for citations. (November 2011)|
|Center High School|
"The Home of Scholars and Champions"
|3111 Center Court Lane
Antelope, California, USA
|School district||Center Unified School District|
|Color(s)||Columbia Blue & Gold|
|Athletics conference||Pioneer Valley League|
|Newspaper||The Blue and Gold|
Center High School is a high school located located at 3111 Center Court Lane, in Antelope, California, United States. The school opened up in its current location in 1984. It is one the of the two high schools in the Center Unified School District.
Center High School was under construction for years until it opened in 1982. However, it moved during the summer of 1984. The school's main objective is to make every student a well-developed member of the their multiethnic society, and "to become actively involved in developing full potential as a human being." The school's Media Communications Academy (MCA), which is defined as "a school within a school", is dedicated to new media, video and audio production, and digital graphics. The current MCA Department chairman is Matt Chamberlain. ref>"http://web.me.com/chambo4/Site/Welcome.html"</ref>
Most of the school's theater productions are housed in the Performing Arts building. The school is also known for its diversity.
- Student Government
- Color Guard
- Academic Decathlon
- Gay Straight Alliance
- California Scholarship Federation
- University of California Early Academic Outreach Program
- Asian Pacific Islander Club
- Drum Line
- Link Crew
- Spanish Club
- Poetry Out loud
- Future Business Leaders of America
- Bowling Club
- Debate Club
- Anime Club
African American Student Alliance
- Fenuki Tupou- NFL guard, drafted in 2009 by the Philadelphia Eagles as a 5th round pick. Currently a practice squad member on the New Orleans Saints.
Blue & Gold is a school newspaper that covers topics dealing with events and going-ons within the High School as well as in popular entertainment. Its sections include "News", "Scene", "Center Spread", "Athletics", "Forum", and "Photo Essay". Blue & Gold was awarded with multiple Scholastic Crowns from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association in the years 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006 all being Gold awards. After changing 3 Advisers in one year, the 07–08 Newspaper was awarded a Silver Crown.
Center High School's "Epic" yearbook had received seven National Pacemaker Awards. It has also won multiple awards from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association in 1998 (Silver), 1999 (Gold), 2000 (Gold), 2002 (Silver), 2003 (Silver), 2004 (Silver), 2005 (Gold), and 2006 (Gold). In 2007-2008, The Epic Yearbook converted from the traditional black-and-white print to an all-color print. The upcoming 2010 design also received two awards at the 2009 Yearbooks CA summer workshop including New Voice (AP Design) and Opening Copy (Experienced Yearbook).
Throughout the 2008–2009 school year, C-TV's young staff "work[ed] to create relevant and interesting programs for Center High School. It feature[d] seven shows which are created by the students of the Media Communications Academy Advanced Broadcast class [talked about by Vernon Bisho] and run on a loop for the school on Channel 25 during the school day." Shows in that period included: C-TV News,Monday Mayhem,Current Events,ASB Update,Thiessen's Thoughts,Autofabula, and Battle of the Classes.
During the 2010-2011 school year, C-TV began to broadcast a wave of new shows which included Cougar Nation (CHS sports), Tight Shorts (short comedic videos), the CHS Problem Solvers (comedic response videos), Warped Wednesday (current events), Murphy's Law (short videos), and the Daily Data (CHS news).
- Great Schools - Student Ethnicity "http://www.greatschools.net/cgi-bin/ca/other/4526#students"
- 1999 Scholastic Crown Recipients "http://cspa.columbia.edu/docs/contests-and-critiques/crown-awards/recipients/1999-scholastic-crown.html"
- 2001 Scholastic Crown Recipients "http://cspa.columbia.edu/docs/contests-and-critiques/crown-awards/recipients/2001-scholastic-crown.html#N1004C"
- 2003 Scholastic Crown Recipients "http://cspa.columbia.edu/docs/contests-and-critiques/crown-awards/recipients/2003-scholastic-crown.html#N10051"
- 2004 Scholastic Crown Recipients "http://cspa.columbia.edu/docs/contests-and-critiques/crown-awards/recipients/2004-scholastic-crown.html#N1004D"
- 2005 Scholastic Crown Recipients "http://www.columbiauniversity.org/cu/cspa/docs/contests-and-critiques/crown-awards/recipients/2005-scholastic-crown.html#N100AF"
- 2006 Scholastic Crown Recipients "http://cspa.columbia.edu/docs/contests-and-critiques/crown-awards/recipients/2006-scholastic-crown.html#N10168"
- 1998 Scholastic Crown Recipients "http://cspa.columbia.edu/docs/contests-and-critiques/crown-awards/recipients/1998-scholastic-crown.html#N1008B"
- 1999 Scholastic Crown Recipients "http://cspa.columbia.edu/docs/contests-and-critiques/crown-awards/recipients/1999-scholastic-crown.html#N100A7"
- 2000 Scholastic Crown Recipients "http://cspa.columbia.edu/docs/contests-and-critiques/crown-awards/recipients/2000-scholastic-crown.html#N1009A"
- 2002 Scholastic Crown Recipients "http://cspa.columbia.edu/docs/contests-and-critiques/crown-awards/recipients/2002-scholastic-crown.html#N10087"
- 2003 Scholastic Crown Recipients "http://cspa.columbia.edu/docs/contests-and-critiques/crown-awards/recipients/2003-scholastic-crown.html#N100AA"
- 2004 Scholastic Crown Recipients "http://cspa.columbia.edu/docs/contests-and-critiques/crown-awards/recipients/2004-scholastic-crown.html#N10096"
- 2005 Scholastic Crown Recipients "http://cspa.columbia.edu/docs/contests-and-critiques/crown-awards/recipients/2005-scholastic-crown.html#N10132"
- 2006 Scholastic Crown Recipients "http://cspa.columbia.edu/docs/contests-and-critiques/crown-awards/recipients/2006-scholastic-crown.html#N102A8"
- Herff Jones Yearbook, Center High School 2008"http://www.yearbooks.biz/?event=Showcase.Detail&category=1&pagesize=24&item=9"
- 2009 Yearbooks CA website"http://yearbooksca.com/YBCA2009/Welcome.html"
- C-TV "http://web.me.com/vernonbisho/CTV/Welcome.html"
- Vernon Bisho "http://web.me.com/vernonbisho/Site/Welcome.html"
- C-TV News "http://web.me.com/vernonbisho/CTV/C-TV_News/C-TV_News.html"
- Monday Mayhem "http://web.me.com/vernonbisho/CTV/Monday_Mayhem_/Monday_Mayhem_.html"
- Current Events "http://web.me.com/vernonbisho/CTV/Current_Events.html"
- ASB Update "http://web.me.com/vernonbisho/CTV/ASB_Update.html"
- Theissen's Thoughts "http://web.me.com/vernonbisho/CTV/Thiessens_Thoughts.html"
- Autofabula - Youtube "http://www.youtube.com/user/autofabula"
- Autofabula Website "http://web.me.com/vernonbisho/CTV/Autofabula/Autofabula.html"
- Battle of the Classes "http://web.me.com/vernonbisho/CTV/Battle_of_the_Classes.html"