Castle is the only British loudspeaker manufacturer to build its own cabinets; buy and lay veneers for those cabinets; and develop and build its own drive units; all under one roof.
In 1932 the former wool merchant Gilbert Briggs from Bradford formed The Wharfedale Wireless Company primarily to further the design and manufacture of loudspeakers to reproduce as accurately as possible, the music in which he was keenly interested. His legacy has over two generations passed to the Castle Acoustics of today, still located in Wharfedale in North Yorkshire.
Moving further up Wharfedale to Skipton, located in an old woollen mill, Castle Acoustics was born on 3 September 1973.
Almost twenty years later, with the original founders fast approaching retiring age, a second group of senior executives from Wharfedale made a proposal to buy out the original management team.
Castle is now part of the International Audio Group.
- Mejias, Stephen (23 May 2011). "Castle Richmond Anniversary featured at 2011 High End Show in Munich, Germany". Stereophile. Retrieved 2011-05-26.
- "Castle Knight 2 Review featured in www.whathifi.com". What Hi Fi? Sound and Vision. February 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-26.
- Todd, Dominic (8 September 2010). "Castle Knight 2 Review featured in www.techradar.com". Hi Fi Choice. Retrieved 2011-05-26.
- Olenick, Doug (31 July 1995). "Castle Acoustics touts quality line.". HFN The Weekly Newspaper for the Home Furnishing Network. Retrieved 2008-11-11.
- Iverson, Jon; Barry Willis (10 January 1999). "Consumer Electronics Show, January 10, 1999". Stereophile. Retrieved 2008-11-11.