Butman Township, Michigan
|Butman Township, Michigan|
|— Township —|
|• Total||35.7 sq mi (92.4 km2)|
|• Land||34.1 sq mi (88.2 km2)|
|• Water||1.6 sq mi (4.1 km2)|
|Elevation||840 ft (256 m)|
|• Density||57.2/sq mi (22.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626014|
- Butman is an unincorporated community in the township at the junction of Butman and Cemetery county roads at .
- Hockaday is an unincorporated community in the township at the junction of Hockaday and Ritchie county roads at .
- Sugar Rapids is an unincorporated community in the township on the Sugar River at the junction of Littleton and Ritchie county roads about a mile east of Hockaday at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 35.7 square miles (92 km2), of which, 34.1 square miles (88 km2) of it is land and 1.6 square miles (4.1 km2) of it (4.49%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,947 people, 853 households, and 690 families residing in the township. The population density was 57.2 per square mile (22.1/km²). There were 1,482 housing units at an average density of 43.5 per square mile (16.8/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 98.36% White, 0.10% African American, 0.31% Native American, 0.05% Asian, 0.31% from other races, and 0.87% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.62% of the population.
There were 853 households out of which 17.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 73.9% were married couples living together, 3.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 19.1% were non-families. 16.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.28 and the average family size was 2.51.
In the township the population was spread out with 16.1% under the age of 18, 5.1% from 18 to 24, 15.6% from 25 to 44, 37.5% from 45 to 64, and 25.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 55 years. For every 100 females there were 107.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 103.0 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $36,510, and the median income for a family was $40,625. Males had a median income of $41,042 versus $25,938 for females. The per capita income for the township was $21,332. About 4.6% of families and 7.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.4% of those under age 18 and 1.9% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Butman Township, Michigan
- Walter Romig, Michigan Place Name, p. 90
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Butman, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Hockaday, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Sugar Rapids, Michigan