Buchtel High School
|John R. Buchtel CLC (New Tech School)|
|1040 Copley Rd.
Akron, Ohio, 44320
|Type||Public high school|
|School board||Akron Public Schools|
|School district||Akron Public Schools|
|Asst. Principal||Dawn Harper, Norma James|
|Grades||9-12 7 - 12 (With Middle School)|
|Enrollment||718 (2012 - 2013)|
|Hours in school day||8 Hours|
|Color(s)||Black & White
|Athletics conference||Akron City Series|
|Sports||Major - Football, Basketball and Track|
|Nickname||Griffs, Lady Griffs|
|Rival||Firestone High School (Akron Public Schools)|
|Average ACT scores||17.1|
|Website||Buchtel High School|
John R. Buchtel High School is a public high school in Akron, Ohio, United States, serving grades 9–12. It is one of seven high schools in the Akron Public Schools. As of 2012, the school has an enrollment of 764 students.
Buchtel High School (Now renamed John R. Buchtel CLC) opened in 1931 and is named after Akron industrialist and philanthropist John R. Buchtel, who helped to organize and finance a number of early Akron firms, including the Goodrich Corporation. Buchtel is best known for his role in the establishment of Buchtel College, which today is the University of Akron. Buchtel and his wife contributed more than $500,000 to the college over the course of his life.
The Old Buchtel High School was torn down, and a new "Community Learning Center" was erected. The school was designed to house not only 9-12 grades, but also 7-8 grades also. This is part of a project called "Imagine Akron Community Learning Centers" Which will rebuild or remodel all Akron Public Schools.
Starting in the 2012 - 2013 school year, the 9th and 10th graders will do New Tech. New Tech is a model used in the new ways of teaching. Its mostly based around "Project Based Learning" which students do projects to show what they know. New Tech also will offer new types of technology used for teaching. This includes using laptops and Smart Boards.
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- Billy Baldwin, Former MLB player (Detroit Tigers, New York Mets)
- Rita Dove, Pulitzer Prize-winning poet and former Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry to the Library of Congress
- Howard Hewett, singer (1974)
- Art Kusnyer, Former MLB player (Chicago White Sox, California Angels, Milwaukee Brewers, Kansas City Royals)
- Bryan Williams, Arena football player
Notes and references
- "Buchtel High School". Akron Public Schools. 2012. Retrieved May 24, 2012.
- What's in a name? (PDF). Akron Public Schools. November 1999. Retrieved May 24, 2012.
- "Buchtel/Perkins CLC Updates". Akron Public Schools. 2012. Retrieved May 24, 2012.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Football". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- OHSSCA. "Ohio High School Swim Coaches' Association-Boys Swimming State Champions". Retrieved 2007-03-08.[dead link]
|This Summit County, Ohio school article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|