It is eaten raw or after being stewed, giving it a spreadable consistency once broken from its casing, and is served with Grünkohl (kale) mainly in the cold season of the year and particulary in Northern Germany.
Despite its name, the Bregenwurst of today doesn't contain brain any longer due to BSE concerns. For that reason the processing of certain parts of animals for food has been prohibited since a couple of years ago.
- Brägenwurst at bk.fh-hannover.de. Retrieved on 23 Apr 2013. (in German)
- A Dozen German Sausages From Brilliant to Wonderful at germanfood.about.com. Retrieved on 20 Mar 10.
- The etymology is obvious if you compare the following Low German words: Bregen (brain), Regen (rain) and negen (nine).
- Adelung - Grammatisch-kritisches Wörterbuch der Hochdeutschen Mundart - Der Bregen: lexika.digitale-sammlungen.de
- Leitsätze für Fleisch und Fleischerzeugnisse p.4; at bmelv.de. Retrieved on 23 Apr 2013. (in German)