Bevolo Gas and Electric Lights
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. (January 2012)|
|Founded||1945by Andrew Bevolo, Sr.|
|Headquarters||New Orleans, Louisiana, United States|
Bevolo was founded by Andrew Bevolo, Sr. in 1945 and remains a family business, currently operated by Andrew Bevolo, III. Andrew Bevolo, Sr. founded the company with experience working for Ford, Igor Sikorsky and Andrew Higgins. The company revolutionized gas lighting by utilizing hand-riveting, which is a technique superior to soldering that guarantees the lantern's continuous pristine condition. As a result, their lights are featured prominently in the New Orleans French Quarter and on the mansions in the historic Garden District.
In the 20th century, A. Hays Town worked with Andrew Bevolo, Sr. to produce the trademark French Quarter Lamp. After Hurricane Katrina, Bevolo opened a manufacturing location in Covington, Louisiana, and a retail location in Mandeville. In 2009, Bevolo opened another retail location on the famous Royal Street in the French Quarter. In addition to showcasing the historic gas and electric lanterns, the retail locations sell antiques and other products manufactured by the company, including interior lighting and furniture.
All Bevolo gas and electric lights are manufactured in the New Orleans area and all are fabricated by hand using antiqued copper. Bevolo offers complementary design services in order to ensure lighting is the correct size and architecturally appropriate. The company has over 500 variations of light and bracket combinations and offers custom made lighting. Bevolo lighting is ETL (Edison Testing Laboratories) approved.
- New Orleans-based Bevolo Gas and Electric Lights expands its light fixture business worldwide ‘’New Orleans City Business’’ via NewsLibrary.com “A tiny French Quarter shop is at the forefront of worldwide demand for authentic gas light fixtures. Since the company was founded in 1945, Bevolo Gas and Electric Lights has seen its business expand worldwide. It is now the largest manufacturer of handmade copper lanterns in the country. Light fixtures made by the company are in service in all 50 states and 28 foreign countries.” March 15, 2004
- “Traditional Building”
- “The Backyard in New York City: An Urban Oasis” Ralph Blumenthal- 2008
- French Quarter lighting company expands to Northshore The Times-Picayune. May 12, 2008
- ”New Orleans, Royal Street
- “Bevolo Collection”
- “Bevolo Clients”
- Bevolo Gas and Electric Lights: Gas From the Past Marissa Frayer- 2010
- Architectural Heritage ArchitecturalHeritage.com - 2011