||This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2008)|
|— City —|
|• Mayor||Hiroshi Hamada|
|• Total||125.13 km2 (48.31 sq mi)|
|Population (January 2011)|
|• Density||977/km2 (2,530/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Japan Standard Time (UTC+9)|
|- Tree||Sweet Osmanthus and Camphor Laurel|
|- Flower||Ōmurasaki (Rhododendron x pulchrum)|
|Address||1-15 Kaminoguchi-chō, Beppu-shi, Ōita-ken
Beppu (別府市 Beppu-shi ) is a city in Ōita Prefecture on the island of Kyushu, Japan, at the west end of Beppu Bay. As of May 1, 2012, the city has an official population of 119,582 and a total area of 125.13 km², with a population density of 956 persons per km².
Beppu contains eight major geothermal hot spots, which are sometimes referred to as the "eight hells of Beppu". Six of these are located in the Kannawa district, and two in the more remote Shibaseki district. Beppu is also divided into eight major hot spring areas known as Beppu Hattō (別府八湯).
Beppu Hattō hot spring areas
- Beppu Onsen
- Oniyama Jigoku (known as "monster mountain hell" for the large numbers of crocodiles bred and kept on the grounds surrounding this hot spring.
Beppu is part of the course of the annual Beppu-Ōita Marathon, which traces a path between Beppu and its neighbouring city of Ōita. The competition has been held every year since 1952 and is classed as an IAAF Silver Label road race.
Shidaka lake is located 600 meters above sea level.
Otobaru Waterfall is a local natural attraction, located in the mountain area of Beppu city, 20 minutes' walk from Wonder Rakutenchi, a traditional amusement park.
Kijima Kogen is a resort which includes an 18-hole golf course and hotel alongside an amusement park. It is located on a plateau en route to Yufuin.
Beppu has not only usual hot springs but some sand and foot baths as well. One famous spot is "Beppu Kaihin Sunayu, Ashiyu", (”Beppu marine beach sand bath and foot bath"). It is 15 minutes by bus from Beppu station, on Route 10.
Beppu Park (別府公園) is located in the center of the city, a 15-minute walk from Beppu Station.
Beppu Fireworks Festival, held in late July, is one of the biggest fireworks displays in Oita. Five thousand fireworks are set off from boats floating on Beppu Bay.
Beppu Contemporary Art Festival "Mixed Bathing World" is an art festival held every three years in Beppu.
- Beppu Mizobe Gakuen College, established in 1986, is a private junior college located in the north of Beppu.
- In 2000, the city subsidized the creation of the Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University, an international university which focuses on international relations, media and culture studies as well as business.
- Beppu City Government
- Hells (Jigoku), Japan-guide.com Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- Beppu-Oita Mainichi Marathon. ARRS (2009-12-24). Retrieved on 2010-02-08.
- "Lake Shidaka / Lake Shidaka Campsite｜Nature / View｜Beppu City Tourist Information Website". City.beppu.oita.jp. Retrieved 2012-01-30.
- "乙原の滝 −大分県旅行.com−". Oitatravel.com. Retrieved 2012-01-30.
- "Beppu Travel: Takasakiyama Monkey Park". Japan-guide.com. 2009-03-14. Retrieved 2012-01-30.
- "Centleisure Kijima Kogen". Kijimakogen.jp. Retrieved 2012-01-30.
- "別府海浜砂湯・足湯（べっぷかいひんすなゆ・あしゆ）|大分県別府エリアの温泉情報｜九州温泉宿予約｜温泉ぱらだいす 九州". Onpara.jp. Retrieved 2012-01-30.
- "Beppu Park｜Nature / View｜Beppu City Tourist Information Website". City.beppu.oita.jp. Retrieved 2012-01-30.
- "Beppu Early Evening Summer Festival｜Fireworks｜Beppu City Tourist Information Website". City.beppu.oita.jp. Retrieved 2012-01-30.
- "Beppu-U History". Retrieved 2012-02-01.
- "News | The Official Site of the Oita HeatDevils". Heatdevils.com. Retrieved 2012-01-30.
- ""Sister City Introduction" Beppu City Official Web". Retrieved 2010-07-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Beppu, Oita|
|Wikivoyage has travel information related to: Beppu|
- Official website
- Beppu Navi homepage
- Information about the "hells" hot springs
- Information about hot spring baths in Beppu
- Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University