|Type||Private joint venture|
|Founded||18 October 2002|
|Owner(s)||Beijing Automotive Group (50%)
Hyundai Motor Company (50%)
|Literal meaning||Beijing Hyundai Motor Co., Ltd.|
Beijing Hyundai Motor Co Ltd is an automobile manufacturing company headquartered in Beijing, China, and is a 50:50 joint-venture between Beijing Automotive Group and Hyundai Motor Company. Established in 2002, it manufactures in Shunyi District, a satellite city of Beijing, producing Hyundai-branded automobiles for the Chinese market.
2010 saw the company sell 700,000 vehicles. Were it not a subsidiary such sales figures would have placed it as the sixth or seventh most-productive Chinese automaker. It did make the third most-purchased model in 2010 in China, the Elantra.
The company may initially have imported components rather than relying on local suppliers.
At least four Hyundai models have been solely sold on the Chinese market. These comprise: BT01, indigenously designed; Lingxiang (Chinese: 领翔), an interior-and-feature localized Sonata NF; Elantra Yuedong, a localized version of the Elantra; and Verna, a city car. All are tailored to Chinese tastes. The 5th generation Elantra is sold in China as an Elantra Langdong.
Cheaper products may be sold under a new, China-only brand name, Shouwang. Its first offering is purportedly based on an older Hyundai Elantra. And while a concept vehicle was shown at car shows in China in 2011 and 2012, the brand does not appear to have been launched.
Production bases and facilities
As of 2009, the company has at least three production bases as well as an R&D center, all of which are probably in the Linhe Industrial Development Zone of the Shunyi District, a satellite city of Beijing. Two of these produce automobiles and the other, engines.
Its first automobile production base was completed in 2003 and the second in April 2008. Construction on a third Beijing base begun in late 2010 should be complete in the second half of 2012. At least one of these facilities is 17 km from Shunyi Yangzhen.
↑Jump back a section
- For ownership and company information, see BEIJING HYUNDAI OPENS NEW PLANT, ADDS NEW MODEL Hyundai Official Site, 2008-04-11
- For year established and production base location, see "Industrial tourism to Beijing Hyundai Auto Co. Ltd". Information Center of Shunyi District Government. 2011-09-15. Retrieved 05/26/12.
- Hyundai sells 1M cars in China joongangdaily.com, January 03, 2011
- Top 10 Best-Selling Sedans and SUVs in 2010 chinaautoweb.com, January 14, 2011
- Doing Business in Beijing By China Knowledge Press Pte Ltd, Page 263 (2nd Ed., "2004 Edition"- 2005)
- For the BT01, see HYUNDAI REVEALS THREE NEW MODELS AT SHANGHAI AUTO SHOW Hyundai Official Site, 2009-04-20
- For the Lingxiang see, Hyundai Motor World: Hyundai Motor Participates in Auto Guangzhou 2008; Ling Xiang (领翔), the NF Sonata model for China, is unveiled for the first time at Auto Guangzhou 2008 Hyundai Official Site, First Quarter 2009, Vol.17 No.62
- For the Yuedong, see BEIJING HYUNDAI OPENS NEW PLANT, ADDS NEW MODEL Hyundai Official Site, 2008-04-11
- For the Verna, see Hyundai Unveils All-New Verna at Beijing Show Hyundai Official Site, 2010-04-23
- "Hyundai Motor Unveils China-Exclusive Elantra at the 2012 Beijing Motor Show". Hyundai Motor Company. 2012-04-23. Retrieved January 16, 2013.
- "Hyundai to launch new sub brand in November". Chinacartimes. OCTOBER 12, 2011. Retrieved 02/02/2012.
- "Short Torque". China Daily. 2011-11-28.
- "Hyundai’s first Shou Wang sedan is old Elantra". Chinacartimes. JANUARY 12, 201. Retrieved 02/02/2012.
- For 2011 appearance, see de Feyter, Tycho (November 20, 2011). "Beijing-Hyundai Shouwang BHCD-1 at the Guangzhou Auto Show". carnewschina.com. Retrieved January 16, 2013.
- Industrial tourism to Beijing Hyundai Auto Co. Ltd Press Release, Information Center of Shunyi District Government, 2009-4-12
- For first production base, see Beijing Auto Manufacturing Base Press Release, Information Center of Shunyi District Government, 2009-4-10
- For second production base, see BEIJING HYUNDAI OPENS NEW PLANT, ADDS NEW MODEL Hyundai Official Site, 2008-04-11
- "Short Torque: Hyundai's third facility", China Daily, 2010-12-06: 19
- Part Overview Beijing Hainachuan Automotive Parts Co., Ltd.
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language