Beech Fork State Park
|Beech Fork State Park|
|West Virginia State Park|
|Elevation||722 ft (220.1 m)|
|Area||3,860 acres (1,562.1 ha) |
|Established||January 1, 1978 |
|- Opened||May 1979 |
|Management||West Virginia Division of Natural Resources |
|Owner||U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Huntington District |
|Nearest city||Huntington, West Virginia|
|Website: Beech Fork State Park|
Beech Fork State Park is a state park located in Cabell County and Wayne County, West Virginia. The park is located on the tailwater shores of Beech Fork Lake, a flood control impoundment of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers on the Beech Fork of Twelvepole Creek. Since its development in the mid-1970s, Beech Fork State Park has proven to be a popular recreation spot for the residents of nearby Barboursville and Huntington, West Virginia, as well as those living in the surrounding region. The park is located about 10 miles (16 km) south of the Hal Greer Exit (Exit 11) of Interstate 64.
Corps of Engineers lake rules restrict boat motors to 10-hp or smaller.
- Boat launch access to Beech Fork Lake
- 4 Campgrounds with 275 campsites total (including 49 with hookups and 225 with electrical power)
- 6 cabins
- 50-meter swimming pool
- mountain biking
- Fishing access
- Tennis court
- Volleyball court
- Basketball court
- Softball field
- Picnic area
- Boat and canoe rentals are available from the privately operated Beech Fork Lake Marina.
Accessibility for the disabled was assessed by West Virginia University. The assessment found the campground, picnic areas, swimming pool, and the doors and ramps of public buildings to be accessible. The 2005 assessment found issues with signage on buildings and parking lots, and with aspects of access to restrooms.
Photo gallery↑Jump back a section
- West Virginia State Parks Facilities Grid, Retrieved March 29, 2008
- Where People and Nature Meet: A History of the West Virginia State Parks. Charleston, West Virginia: Pictorial Histories Publishing Company. April 1988. ISBN 0-933126-91-3.
- Guide to Accessible Recreation and Travel in WV, WVU Center for Excellence in Disabilities web site, Retrieved July 31, 2006