The Bal surname, of differing origins, is common among several communities.
History and origin
Distribution in India
- People having 'Bal' surname are also found in Orissa. They belong to Kshatriya community, and mostly found in coastal belt of Orissa like Keonjhar, Kendrapara,Jajpur,Cuttack, Bhadrak etcs.
- Several people belonging to this Jat gotra can be found in Haryana. In Punjab, the gotra can be found in the district of Amritsar, Jalandhar, Kapurthala.
- A village of Bals can also be found near Ajeetpur, Uttrakhand. According to them, they moved from Amritsar around the time of partition.
- People belonging to this gotra can also be found in Maharashtra. They trace back their origins to the village of Ladghar which is located in the Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra.
- The Bal gotra can also be found in Northern Kashmir
Distribution in Pakistan
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (November 2012)|
- Bal is one of the largest Jat tribe, found throughout the central districts of Lahore, Kasur, Sialkot, Narowal, Gujranwala, and Okara.
- Many have also settled in the canal colony districts of Faisalabad, Sahiwal and Sargodha.
Distribution elsewhere↑Jump back a section
- Nanda Kishore Bal, Indian poet
- Bhikari Bal, Indian Singer
- Bülent Bal, Turkish footballer
- Duygu Bal, Turkish volleyball player
- Harigopal Bal, Bengali revolutionary
- Jagmeet Bal, Indian music video director
- Rohit Bal, Indian fashion designer
- Sambit Bal, Indian journalist
- Vidya Bal, Indian writer/editor and social activist
Last modified on 8 April 2013, at 17:04↑Jump back a section
- H. A. Rose:Glossary of the Tribes and Castes of the Punjab and North West Frontier Province Vol III, 1911.
- Dr Mahendra Singh Arya, Dharmpal Singh Dudi, Kishan Singh Faujdar & Vijendra Singh Narwar: Adhunik Jat Itihasa (The modern history of Jats), Agra 1998