The app's icon.
|Producer(s)||Petri Järvilehto, Mikael Hed, Jaakko Haapasalo|
|Designer(s)||Markus Tuppurainen, Peter Urbanics|
|Programmer(s)||Marco Rapino, Miika Virpioja, Mauricio Hollando, Jussi Markkanen|
|Release date(s)||September 27, 2012|
Bad Piggies is a puzzle video game developed by Finnish video game developer Rovio Entertainment, a spin-off to Angry Birds. The game launched on iOS, Android, Windows and Mac on 27 September 2012. Windows Phone and Windows 8 versions are scheduled to follow later. Unlike previous games in the series, in this entry the player controls the pigs, building devices that travel on land and air to find pieces of a map to find and take away the Angry Birds' eggs. As of 7 October 2012[update], Bad Piggies is the fastest-selling game on the app store, and the quickest one to reach the top of the list, in just after three hours.
The objective of the game is to build a contraption that transports the pig from a starting point to the finish line, usually indicated by a map. Such contraptions are made of wood and iron (similar to Angry Birds), as well as other objects such as wheels, soda bottles, umbrellas (to increase air resistance), motors, fans, TNT, and balloons.
The game consists of seven themes:
- Ground Hog Day (36 levels and 9 bonus levels)
- Rise and Swine (12 levels and 3 bonus levels)
- When Pigs Fly (36 levels and 9 bonus levels)
- Flight in the Night (36 levels and 9 bonus levels)
- Road Hogs (7 levels)
- Sandbox (8 levels)
- Field of Dreams (an unlimited sandbox level)
Similar to Angry Birds, the player can earn up to three stars per level, but stars are not earned by scoring points. Instead, players automatically earn one star for completing the level. For each level, the other two stars can be obtained by:
- Completing the level within a certain time limit (e.g. 10 sec.)
- Collecting 1 or 2 "star boxes" on the playing field
- Not using a certain part (e.g. a wheel, etc.)
- Not damaging the contraption
- Transporting the King Pig along with the Freckled Pig to the final destination
- Transporting the Egg (this is a must in the theme Flight in the Night)
For example, on level 1-1, a player can earn three stars by completing the level, collecting a star on the playing field, and by not damaging the vehicle. On some levels, it is impossible to earn all three stars at once, so the player must play the level two or more times in order to obtain three stars.
Additionally, "skulls" are placed throughout the levels, in which a player can unlock a hidden level in the Sandbox by finding 10 out of 30 skulls.
Mark Brown of Pocket Gamer gave the game a Silver Award and called it "creative, addictive, and absolutely packed with content", while lamenting that it felt "a little too safe and predictable".IGN rated it the best mobile game of 2012.
- "Rovio to launch Bad Piggies on September 27!". Rovio.
- Cai, Catherine. "Rovio's Bad Piggies is Fastest Selling #1 Game on App Store". Tom's Hardware. Retrieved October 2012.
- "After 'Angry Birds' success, Rovio to launch 'Bad Piggies'". The Australian. September 5, 2012. Retrieved 10 September 2012.
- Bad piggies review http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/appsblog/2012/sep/26/bad-piggies-angry-birds-review?newsfeed=true
- Mallory, Jordan. "Bad Piggies is Rovio's quickest selling #1 game, free content update coming soon". Joystiq. Retrieved October 2012.
- "Bad Piggies App Review". FlashMush Reviews.
- "Bad Piggies Available For Universal Platforms". Downloadbirds.
- Mark Brown (2012-09-26). "Bad Piggies Review". PocketGamer.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-12-17.