B.M.C. Durfee High School
|B.M.C. Durfee High School|
|360 Elsbree Street
Fall River, Massachusetts, 02720
|Type||Public High School|
|School district||Fall River Public Schools|
|Superintendent||Mrs. Meg Mayo-Brown|
|Principal||Mr. Paul Marshall|
|Color(s)||Red & Black|
|Athletics conference||MIAA Big Three League|
|Rivals||New Bedford, Taunton, Brockton|
|Accreditation(s)||New England Association of Schools and Colleges|
|Average SAT scores||458 verbal
445 writing (2010)
B.M.C. Durfee High School is a public high school located in the city of Fall River, Massachusetts. It is a part of Fall River Public Schools and is the city's main public high school, the other being Diman Regional Vocational Technical High School. Durfee is one of the biggest high schools in Massachusetts, and is also the 3rd biggest high school in Southeastern Massachusetts behind Brockton and New Bedford. These three high schools make up the Big Three League, the conference in which all their athletic teams compete.
The school has been located in two buildings. From it's opening in 1887 until the new building was completed in 1978 the school was located in the historic B.M.C. Durfee High School building.
- Boy's and Girl's Cross Country
- Boy's and Girl's Soccer
- Girl's Swimming
- Girl's Volleyball
- Field Hockey
- Boy's and Girl's Basketball
- Boy's and Girl's Winter Track
- Boy's Swimming
- Ice hockey
Clubs and activities
- Theater Company
- FRED TV
- Band (Concert, Jazz & Marching. Drum Major for the 2012-2013 School Year—Branden Quental)
- Orchestra (Full & String)
- Green Team
- Hope for Durfee(Christian Club)
- Peaceful Coalition
- Skills USA
- R.O.V. Team
- The Hilltop - School Newspaper
- Portuguese Club
- Spanish Club
- Connecting Cultures Club
- Mark Bomback - Former MLB player (Milwaukee Brewers, New York Mets, Toronto Blue Jays)
- James Chace - (1949) - Distinguished historian.
- Morton Dean - (1953) - American television news journalist
- Edward Francis Harrington - (1951) - United States federal judge.
- Tom Gastall - Former MLB player (Baltimore Orioles)
- Russ Gibson - Former MLB player (Boston Red Sox, San Francisco Giants)
- Brandon Gomes - Current MLB player (Tampa Bay Rays)
- Chris Herren - (1994) - Former NBA player for the Denver Nuggets, Boston Celtics 
- Brig. Gen. John J. Liset, USAF - (1938) - chief of the USAF Section of the Joint Brazil-United States Military Commission, and chief of the Air Force Section, Military Assistance Advisory Group in Brazil.
- James M. McGuire - (1931) - Supreme Court Justice of the State of New York 
- Humberto Sousa Medeiros - (1937) - Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church; Former Archbishop of Boston.
- John Moriarty - (1948) - noted vocal coach and accompanist and a conductor and stage director of productions at opera companies throughout America.
- Jerome Namias - (1928) - Prominent American meteorologist; former Chief of the Extended Forecast Division of the National Weather Service and was involved in the research of both the Dust Bowl and El Niño phenomena.
- William J. Porter - (1930) - American diplomat; former ambassador to Canada, Saudi Arabia, and others.
- William K. Reilly - (1958) - former Administrator of the United States Environmental Protection Agency and current director of DuPont.
- James M. Swift - (18??) - first head football coach at Michigan State Normal School (now Eastern Michigan University)
- Luke Urban - Former MLB player (Boston Braves)
- Gen. Melvin Zais, US Army - (1933) - Decorated United States Army General
- Durfee Alumni, new school opened in 1978
- CPSS Directory of Schools - New England Association of Schools and Colleges: Commission on Public Secondary Schools (CPSS)
- SAT Performance Report - School and District Profiles: Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
- Changing of guard: A sober Chris Herren set for post-hoop life - The Boston Globe
- Biographies : Brigadier General John J. Liset
- William J. Porter
- General Melvin Zais's Biography
- B.M.C. Durfee High Alumni - Fall River, MA