|Origin||Cape Town, South Africa|
|Genres||Technical death metal|
|Past members||Sergio Kiekebusch-Steinitz|
Azrail was formed in 2006 by vocalist Joel Jardim and bassist Oliver Reissner, taking their name from the West African Hausa people's god of death, Azrail, in order to reflect their status as an African death metal band. In the following months, they were joined by Marius Theron on drums, Riaan Smit on rhythm guitar. Lead guitarist Sergio Kiekebusch-Steinitz joined in early 2007, but departed in early 2008 to pursue a career in the United States armed forces. He was replaced by ex-Noctivian guitarist Petri Coetzee, completing the band's current lineup.
2008 saw Azrail tour South Africa and Namibia, culminating in the release of their debut album Primordial at Whiplash 2008, and co-headlining Metal4Africa's WinterFest '09 alongside local veterans Mind Assault).
- Joel Jardim – vocals
- Oliver Reissner – bass guitar
- Marius Theron – drums
- Riaan Smit – rhythm guitar
- Petri Coetzee – lead guitar
- Sergio Kiekebusch-Steinitz – lead guitar (2007–2008)
Primordial was released on 13 December 2008.
- The Birth of Damnation
- Slave Devoured Soul
- Entombed in Silence
- Degeneration over God
- Gods of War
- Born of Blood
- Absence of Mercy
- The Coming of Uhuru
- Stepping through the Nether Portal
- "Azrail - A Headlining Act". Metal4Africa. 2009-07-29.
- http://www.facebook.com/discography/album.php?aid=53017997880 Azrail Facebook Page. 6 May 2010.
- "Azrail Interview". ProjectRFS E-Zine. 2009-03-21.