Australian National Drag Racing Association
The Australian National Drag Racing Association, or ANDRA for short, is the primary drag racing sanctioning body in Australia. The organisation was created in 1973 from a more drag racing oriented faction of the Australian Hot Rod Federation. Today the ANDRA sanctions races throughout Australia and throughout the year at all levels, from Top Fuel to Junior Dragster.
Andra Pro Series racing classes & Current (2012) Champions include:
- Top Fuel Darren Morgan [(Darren Morgan Racing)] (2012, 2011, 2005)
- Top Alcohol Gary Phillips (2012, 2010, 2009, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1992, 1991)
- Top Doorslammer John Zappia (2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008)
- Top Bike Chris Matheson (2012, 2011, 2010)
- Pro Stock Michael Ali (2012)
- Pro Stock Motorcycle Locky Ireland (2012)
Today ANDRA sanctions races throughout Australia and throughout the year at all levels, from Top Fuel to Junior Dragster at regional temporary 1/8 mile tracks to International standard facilities in capital cities and everywhere in between. ANDRA and its members make Drag Racing a family friendly, safe sport. So come along as a spectator or bring your street car to an "Off Street" event and enjoy the excitement that is Australian Drag Racing.
ANDRA Pro Series Television is filmed, edited and broadcast in full High-definition on Ten's ONE HD, Australia's only free-to-air 24 hour sports channel, with an impressive broadcast schedule that essentially provides year-round coverage to millions of viewers nationally.
ANDRA has long been criticised for its legacy class structure that has not followed changes in drag racing, such as a focus on street car based heads up racing or a failure to capitalise on the rise of sports compact racing. A number of other competing drag racing bodies have developed in response to this gap in the market. This failure to adapt to the changes in the market has resulted in very few younger members participating in ANDRA events.
- "Darren Morgan Racing - 2011 Andra Pro Series Top Fuel Champion". Darrenmorgan.com.au. Retrieved 2012-08-10.