Askim Upper Secondary School
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (April 2011)|
|Askim Upper Secondary School|
|Askim, Østfold, Norway|
|Motto||Miljø - mangfold - muligheter!|
|Head teacher||Arne Brovold|
|Number of students||900|
|Branches of study||Multiple, see website for further information|
Askim Upper Secondary School (Norwegian: Askim Videregående Skole) is an Upper Secondary School situated in the outskirts of the municipality of Askim. It was originally two different schools; Hov Upper Secondary School (general studies) and Ask Upper secondary School (vocational training), but they merged to Askim Upper Secondary School for practical reasons. It is a public school, both run and owned by the county of Østfold.
The school is most known nationally, and to a small extent internationally, for its many successful 'youth enterprises'. The youth enterprise is a part of one of the schools many branches of study. The second grade students of this branch create their own small-time company and try to survive in the market selling a service or a product they have created.
The school is also an 'Environmental Lighthouse', meaning it makes an effort in sorting garbage, reducing the amount of waste resources and reducing the schools energy consumption.
Location and structures
The school is situated near a small forest, Hovskogen, and the city centre lies within easy walking distance. A mostly suburban landscape dominates the surrounding area, although both rural and urban landscapes are in the vicinity.
The school has seven primary structures named by letters of the alphabet, A, B, C etc. The different structures house different branches of study.
- The A-building is home to the 'Health and social' students
- The B-building is home to the 'Mechanics and industrial' students
- The C-building is home to the Electricians and Carpenters
- The D-building is home to both Electricians, Carpenters, Mechanics and more. An outdated computerpark is also present in this building.
- The E-building is home to the Theoretical students. The school library is situated on the top floor, and the teacher offices lie in the basement.
- The F-building is the Gym. The school cafeteria and advisor's office lies here as well.
- The G-building is home to the administration. Lessons in Physics, Chemistry and Biology are held here.
Construction of an eight building began in 2006, and the structure is expected to be ready for the autumn semester of 2007.
Administration and employees
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language