Aniano A. Desierto
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010)|
|Aniano Aguilar Desierto|
|Ombudsman of the Philippines|
August 4, 1995 – October 10, 2002
|President||Fidel V. Ramos
|Preceded by||Conrado M. Vasquez|
|Succeeded by||Simeon V. Marcelo|
|Born||April 25, 1935
Cebu City, Philippines
Aniano Aguilar Desierto is a former Ombudsman of the Republic of the Philippines from 1995-2002. He headed the Ombudsman Office which investigates all government officials who defy the law of conduct. He assumed the Office of the Philippine Ombudsman on August 4, 1995 as the second person to head the post.
Desierto was born on April 25, 1935 in Cebu City. He received his secondary education at the University of San Carlos (USC) in Cebu City, where he also obtained an Associate in Arts. He later obtained Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Law degrees at the University of the Philippines, Diliman in 1957, and was admitted to the Philippine Bar in 1958. Desierto also took up General Management and Marketing Courses at the Ateneo de Manila University and a master’s degree at the Philippine Christian University.
Desierto was once the Provincial Division Manager of the Manila Broadcasting Company and of the Metropolitan Broadcasting Company. He is married to Commissioner Teresita A. Desierto.
From 1961 to 1974, Desierto was engaged in private law practice in Cebu and Manila. He started his career in the government service when he was appointed as Judge Advocate, Office of the AFP Judge Advocate General in 1974. In 1988, he was appointed Deputy Judge Advocate General. He later served as The Special Prosecutor of the Prosecution Bureau of the Office of the Ombudsman from April 1, 1991 to August 3, 1995.
On August 4, 1995, he was appointed Ombudsman by then President Fidel V. Ramos. He served until he retired, or "finish(ed) my term" as he stated it, in August 2002. He was criticized by some for not aggressively investigating and prosecuting cases of corruption. After he left office, he unsuccessfully sought a slot on the country's Supreme Court.
- (1 August 2010). Merceditas Gutierrez not the legitimate Ombudsman, Philippine Daily Inquirer, Retrieved December 8, 2010
- Ubac, Michael Lim (3 August 2002). Desierto going but not 'gently into that good night', Philippine Daily Inquirer, Retrieved December 8, 2010
- Robles, Jojo. Pygmies in Robes, Manila Standard Today, Retrieved December 8, 2010
- Palabrica, Raul J (30 June 2002) Crucial choice of next ombudsman, Philippine Daily Inquirer, Retrieved December 8, 2010
- (29 October 1996). Justice, Not Popularity, Is Ombudsman's Mission, Manila Standard Today, Retrieved December 8, 2010
Conrado M. Vasquez
|Ombudsman of the Republic of the Philippines
Simeon V. Marcelo
|This article about a Filipino politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language