||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (May 2010)|
|Key people||12 employees|
Alumniportal Deutschland is a non-profit online social network of "Germany Alumni" – anyone from around the world who has studied, researched, worked or completed a (further) training or a language course in Germany or at a German institution abroad. The portal is a networking platform for both the professional and private field. It is open to any and all international Germany Alumni, regardless of whether or not they received a scholarship from one of the many German scholarship organizations, participated in an organized study abroad program, or enrolled directly in an institution. The use of Alumniportal Deutschland is free for individuals and businesses.
The project is administered by a core group of five major German organizations, supported by strategic partners and financed by the German Federal Government.
Goals and contents
Alumniportal Deutschland offers Germany Alumni the opportunity to build and deepen their contacts to other Germany Alumni as well as to German and Germany-related institutions, organizations and businesses.
In addition to community features, the website offers an international job & career market, information on training programmes and events around the world, an editorial part with articles on culture, society, education science & research and economy as well as online German language training tools.
Alumniportal gives participating organizations access to a global network of contacts with a direct connection to Germany as an addition to their own alumni activities and recruiting efforts. The website enables businesses to connect to employees, experts, or potential partners.
Background / History
Alumni relations efforts for study abroad and professional development organizations in Germany have historically been limited to each group reaching out to their specific alumni. However, approximately 80% of people from abroad who study or undertake professional training in Germany – a total of roughly 14,000 people per year – are “free movers”, organizing and financing their own program. Trying to get in touch with these free movers was a complicated and often fruitless effort.
Alumniportal Deutschland is an online social network created entirely for Germany Alumni, regardless of organizational affiliation. Bringing this group of individuals together is aimed at creating tangible benefits for the Germany Alumni, for the various scholarship organizations, and for companies and institutions looking for highly-qualified individuals with experience in Germany.
Structure of the Website
The Alumniportal Deutschland is divided into two sections: the Online Community and the Infopoint.
The Online Community is the social networking component of the website. Registered members have the opportunity to network and communicate with fellow alumni and participating organizations using the standard array of social networking tools such as groups, blogs, profiles, forums, etc.
The Infopoint, which is freely accessible without registration, is the Alumniportal’s space for Germany-related information. Users can learn or brush up on their German language skills with lessons from the Goethe-Institut, or find a listing of Germany-related events in their area. Information is given on continuing their academic careers as well as an international job market. They can also find information on further education in their academic career. The editorial part offers articles on economy, science & research and culture, amongst others.
German companies and organizations can use the Infopoint to find new employees with an established connection to Germany. After registering for with the Alumniportal, they can post job advertisements, search resumes, or post upcoming events.
- Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (AvH; in German: Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung)
- Center for International Migration and Development (CIM)
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD; in German: Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst)
- Goethe-Institut (GI)
More than ten "strategic partners" support the partner organizations. Amongst others, these are the German Federal Foreign Office, the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research, and several political foundations such as the Friedrich Ebert Foundation, the Konrad Adenauer Foundation and the Heinrich Boell Foundation.
- according to information from Alumniportal Deutschland
- see the partner page of Alumniportal Deutschland
- Alumniportal Deutschland English homepage
- Alumniportal Deutschland German homepage
- Auftakt des Alumniportals Deutschland German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) on the launch of Alumniportal Deutschland, press release, 11 September 2008 - in German language
- Alumniportal Deutschland gets a new look Article of the Goethe-Institut, September 2009
- Cooperation, Career, Networking: Niebel launches the "Alumniportal Deutschland" in Viet Nam German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development, press release, 8 March 2010
- Foundation partners the Alumniportal Deutschland Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, newsletter 2/2010
- Alumniportal Deutschland: 20,000 registered users Article of the Goethe-Institut, September 2010