Akpor Pius Ewherido
|Akpor Pius Ewherido|
|Senator for Delta Central|
|Preceded by||Adego Erhiawarie Eferakeya|
4 April 1963 |
Ughelli, Delta State, Nigeria
Akpor Pius Ewherido (born 4 May 1963) is a Nigerian politician who was a member of the Delta State, Nigeria House of Representatives between May 1999 and May 2007. He was elected Senator for Delta Central in the April 2011 national elections, running on the Democratic People's Party (DPP) platform.
Born in Ughelli, Ewherido is Urhobo in origin. He attended Notre Dame College, Ozoro and Urhobo College, Effurun, Delta State. He went on to the University of Ife where he studied Philosophy. After his National Youth Service, Ewherido became a businessman in Warri. He also studied Law at the University of Benin, and was later called to the Bar.
Ewherido joined the United Nigerian Congress Party (UNCP) during the Nigerian Third Republic. After the transition to democracy was aborted by Sani Abacha, he left politics and returned to business. In 1998 he joined the People's Democratic Party (PDP) and in April 1999 he was elected to represent the Ughelli South constituency election in the Delta State House of Assembly. He was appointed Deputy Speaker of the House when it convened in June 1999. From 15 May 2000 until 20 March 2001 he was leader of the Assembly. Ewherido was reelected in April 2003, and was Deputy Speaker of the Assembly from May 2003 until May 2007. In the 2006 PDP primaries he was a contender to be candidate for Governor of Delta State in the April 2007 election, but was unsuccessful.
Ewherido left the PDP in order to compete for the Delta Central Senate seat on the DPP platform. In the DPP primary he was elected the candidate by a narrow margin, winning 125 votes to his opponent's 108. In the April 2011 election he won 102,313 votes, ahead of Amori Ighoyota of the PDP who gained 85,365 votes.
- Sunday Apah (16 March 2011). "I Believe in Sapele Port's Resuscitation - Ewherido". Daily Independent. Retrieved 2011-05-05.
- NELSON NWAFOR (May 04, 2003). "Hon Ewherido: Back in the saddle". BNW News. Retrieved 2011-05-05.
- "DELTA STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY". Delta State Government. Retrieved 2011-05-05.
- JUDEX OKORO (February 22, 2011). "DPP is unstoppable in Delta – Ewherido, senatorial candidate". Daily Sun. Retrieved 2011-05-05.
- "Collated Senate results". INEC. Retrieved 2011-05-04.
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language