New millennium astrological chart
Agricultural astrology is a type of electional astrology that advises the planting, cultivating and harvesting of crops based on moon phases and astrological signs. Agricultural astrology is often referred to as "planting by the signs" because of its reliance on astrological signs for planting, cultivating and harvesting.
Agricultural astrology is one of the oldest forms of astrology. It was probably the first use humans made of lunar cycles. Evidence of its practice dates back thousands of years to the ancient peoples of the Nile and Euphrates River valleys. Farmers of these civilizations planted by the Moon's phase and its sign in the zodiac. There is a lack of scientific evidence proving the beneficial effects of astrological gardening. A few studies have been conducted, but "none of this has been conclusively proven or disproved by modern science".
Although agricultural astrology is primarily used as a guide for growing crops, it also has been applied to the practice of animal husbandry. For example, agricultural astrology encourages poultry farmers to set up their chicken's eggs to hatch when it is a new moon and in a "fruitful" sign. It claims that chicks hatched during this time grow faster and produce more offspring.
- Lewis 2003, p. 11-12
- Lewis 2003, p. 13
- Oken 2006, p. 16
- Llewellyn 2004, p. 83
- Planting by the Moon and Signs, University of Florida
- Llewellyn 2004, p. 91
- Lewis, James (2003). The astrology book: the encyclopedia of heavenly influences. Visible Ink Press. ISBN 1-57859-144-9.
- Llewellyn, George (2004). Powerful Planets Astrologically Considered 1931. Kissinger Publishing. ISBN 1-4179-8253-5.
- Oken, Alan (2006). Alan Oken's Complete Astrology: The Classic Guide to Modern Astrology. Red Wheel/Weiser. ISBN 0-89254-125-3.
- Nick Kollerstrom's Gardening and Planting by the Moon (an annual series beginning 1980)
- Marcella Shaffer (2001), Planning & Planting a Moon Garden, Storey Publishing; ISBN 1603423524
- Gloria Star (2001), Llewellyn's Moon Sign Book: And Gardening Almanac, Llewellyn Publications; ISBN 0738700312
- Lyn Bagnall (2012), Easy Organic Gardening and Moon Planting, Scribe Publications; ISBN 1921844787