76th Airlift Squadron
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (December 2012)|
|76th Airlift Squadron|
76th Airlift Squadron Patch
|Active||30 January 1943 - 31 March 1944
20 July 1952 - Present
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Part of||United States Air Forces in Europe
3rd Air Force
86th Airlift Wing
86th Operations Group
|Garrison/HQ||Ramstein Air Base|
|Decorations||Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm
Conduct executive airlift missions.
The 76th trained transport flight crews, February 1943-March 1944. It has flown worldwide airlift since 1952. The squadron transported UN troops to Suez Canal in November 1956. The 76th has also supported operations in Southeast Asia from, 1966–1973, the evacuation of Saigon in May 1975, in Grenada, October-December 1983, Panama, 18–28 December 1989, and Southwest Asia, August 1990-December 1991.
- Constituted as 76th Ferrying Squadron (Special) on 30 Jan 1943
- Activated on 8 Feb 1943
- Redesignated as 76th Transport Transition Squadron on 4 Jun 1943
- Disbanded on 31 Mar 1944
- Reconstituted, and redesignated as 76th Air Transport Squadron, Medium, on 20 Jun 1952
- Activated on 20 Jul 1952
- Redesignated as: 76th Military Airlift Squadron on 8 Jan 1966
- Redesignated as: 76th Airlift Squadron on 1 Oct 1991.