656th Bombardment Squadron
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (December 2012)|
|656th Bombardment Squadron|
Emblem of the 656th Bombardment Squadron
|Branch||United States Air Force|
The 656th Bombardment Squadron is an inactive United States Air Force unit. Its last was assigned to the 68th Bombardment Wing, stationed at Chennault Air Force Base, Louisiana. It was inactivated on 15 April 1963.
Established in January 1953 as a B-47 Stratojet medium bomber squadron; aircraft not received until April when squadron received first production block of B-47Es. Conducted routine deployments and training during the 1950s and early 1960s. Inactivated in 1963 with the phaseout of the B-47.
- Established as: 656th Bombardment Squadron and activated on 16 Jan 1953
- Inactivated on 15 Apr 1963
- 68th Bombardment Wing, 16 Jan 1953-15 Apr 1963
- B-47 Stratojet, 1953-1963
- Mauer, Mauer (1969), Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II, Air Force Historical Studies Office, Maxwell AFB, Alabama. ISBN 0-89201-097-5