2009 Falken Tasmania Challenge
|Round 4 of 14 in the 2009 V8 Supercar Championship Series on the Symmons Plains Raceway at Launceston, Tasmania.|
|Date||29 - 31 May 2009|
|Course||Symmons Plains Raceway
|Distance||126 (42 + 84) laps, 302 km|
|Driver||R7 Garth Tander
R8 Jamie Whincup
|R7 Holden Racing Team
R8 Triple Eight Race Engineering
|First||Garth Tander||37:13.9662||Holden Racing Team|
|Second||Russell Ingall||37:14.0956||Paul Morris Motorsport|
|Third||Steven Johnson||37:22.6997||Dick Johnson Racing|
|First||Jamie Whincup||1:22:07.8219||Triple Eight Race Engineering|
|Second||Will Davison||1:22:08.2613||Holden Racing Team|
|Third||Fabian Coulthard||1:22:08.4376||Paul Cruickshank Racing|
The 2009 Falken Tasmania Challenge was the fourth race meeting of the 2009 V8 Supercar Championship Series. It contained Rounds 7 and 8 of the series and was held on the weekend of May 29–31 at Symmons Plains Raceway, near Launceston, in northern Tasmania.
The new race formats for 2009 saw two Rounds to be held over the weekend, with a 101 kilometre race held as Round 7 on Saturday, with a 202 kilometre race held on Sunday as Round 8.
The first race, Round 7, was held on Saturday May 30. Garth Tander was able to break the year long stranglehold Team Vodafone has held on the 2009 series, taking a narrow victory over Russell Ingall after an innovative use of tyre tactics saw Ingall get much better tyre life out of his set of soft, sprint, tyres. Instead of changing tyres at his pitstop to a set of the harder, slow tyres, Ingall rotated his tyres, swapping the tyres diagonally front/rear and left/right, giving him the best grip of any of the front runners in the races late stages and it was only Tander's ability to put lapped traffic between himself and Ingall that gave the Holden Racing Team driver the race victory.
Steven Johnson continued his best ever V8 Supercar season with a third place, and best of the Ford drivers. It was Johnson's second podium result of the year after claiming third at Round 4 at the Hamilton 400. Will Davison backed up Tander's win in fourth place, making it the best day of the season for HRT ahead of Todd Kelly, his best result of the year to date, and Stone Brothers race Shane Van Gisbergen. Team mates Craig Lowndes and Jamie Whincup followed with a much improved Greg Murphy ninth and a disappointing Lee Holdsworth scraping into the top ten.
James Courtney had a miserable day, invlovled in several on track skirmishes, including receiving a puncture and pitting on the very lap that his team mate Steven Johnson was already in the pits having his scheduled pitstop, forcing Courtney to lose yet more time waiting for his team to service Johnson's #17 Ford. He finished, but finished last on a day when all 30 cars saw the chequered flag. His championship hopes are effectively extinguished and his hopes for a good season will now hinge on his ability to win races.
Race 2 was held on Sunday May 31.
Qualifying Round 7
Qualifying Round 8
* Penalties were applied to Tim Slade and Marcus Marshall. Slade was relegated from ninth to 14th. Marshall was relegated from 22nd to 24th.
- After Round 4 of 14
|1||1||Jamie Whincup||Triple Eight Race Engineering||1044|
|2||22||Will Davison||Holden Racing Team||948|
|3||17||Steven Johnson||Dick Johnson Racing||753|
|4||2||Garth Tander||Holden Racing Team||723|
|33||Lee Holdsworth||Garry Rogers Motorsport||723|
- "2009 V8 Supercar Championship Series - Races 7 & 8 Symmons Plains International Raceway V8 Supercars - Race 7 Qualifying". natsoft.com.au. 2009-05-30. Retrieved 2009-06-20.
- "2009 V8 Supercar Championship Series - Races 7 & 8 Symmons Plains International Raceway V8 Supercars - Top Ten Shootout". natsoft.com.au. 2009-05-30. Retrieved 2009-06-20.
- "2009 V8 Supercar Championship Series - Races 7 & 8 Symmons Plains International Raceway V8 Supercars - Race 7". natsoft.com.au. 2009-05-30. Archived from the original on 2009-06-22. Retrieved 2009-06-20.
- "2009 V8 Supercar Championship Series - Races 7 & 8 Symmons Plains International Raceway V8 Supercars - Race 8 Qualifying". natsoft.com.au. 2009-05-31. Retrieved 2009-06-20.
- "2009 V8 Supercar Championship Series - Races 7 & 8 Symmons Plains International Raceway V8 Supercars - Race 8". natsoft.com.au. 2009-05-31. Retrieved 2009-06-20.
2009 Winton V8 Supercar Event
|2009 V8 Supercar Championship Series||Next race:
2009 Skycity Triple Crown
2008 Falken Tasmania Challenge
|Falken Tasmania Challenge||Next year:
2010 Falken Tasmania Challenge