2008 in Bangladesh
Events from the year 2008 in Bangladesh.
- 3 February - The port city of Chittagong put on high alert to prevent a bird flu epidemic.
- 8 February - A plague of rats destroy crops in the Chittagong Hill Tracts
- 13 February - The immigration advisory service in Britain warn that restrictions on immigration of Bangladeshis to the UK was leading to shortages in curry houses and having an impact on the industry.
- 19 February - Ekushey Padak 2008 presentation ceremony.
- 28 February - Ferry accident near Dhaka claims 45 lives
- 5 March - The Government announces nominations for the Independence Day Award of 2008.
- 11 June - Former PM Sheikh Hasina is released on parole.
- 20 June - The Election Commission (EC) announces that polls to four city corporations and nine municipalities will be held on 4 August 2009.
- 26 June - The results of Secondary School Certificate (SSC) examinations 2008 is published.
- 30 June - The caretaker government increases prices of petroleum products for the second time during its tenure.
- 21 July - At least 21 people are killed and nearly 40 injured when two buses collide on a Bangladesh highway.
- 30 July - The government sets up a truth commission that would allow corrupt businessmen and politicians to avoid going to jail if they confess and refund money obtained illegally.
- 11 September - Khaleda Zia is freed from her yearlong detention.
- 3 November - The caretaker government schedules general elections on December 18, 2008.
- 24 November - The Electoral Commission reschedules the date for the general election from December 18 to December 29.
Last modified on 9 April 2013, at 08:05↑Jump back a section
- Bird flu spreads in Bangladesh, port city on alert-Reuters
- Rats destroy crops in Bangladesh
- Curry houses feel the pinch of immigration restrictions
- Bangladesh ferry toll reaches 45, police say-AFP
- "Independence Award 2008 announced-the Daily Star". Archived from the original on 2009-09-05. Retrieved 2009-08-27.
- VoA Bangladesh Caretaker Government Frees Former PM Hasina
- Polls to 4 city corporations, 9 municipalities Aug 4- the Daily Star
- Octane now Tk 90, diesel Tk 55- the Daly Star
- Twenty-one killed in Bangladesh road accident-Reuters
- Bangladesh sets up corruption 'truth commission'-AFP
- "Tarique freed on bail-the Daily Star". Archived from the original on 2009-09-05. Retrieved 2009-08-27.
- "Freed Khaleda to join talks, contest polls-the Daily Star". Archived from the original on 2009-09-05. Retrieved 2009-08-27.
- Bangladesh poll date is announced-BBC
- Bangladesh election is deferred-BBC
- Landslide mandate- the Daily Star