1863 in literature
|List of years in literature (table)|
|... 1853 . 1854 . 1855 . 1856 .1857 .1858 .1859 ...
1860 1861 1862 -1863- 1864 1865 1866
... 1867 . 1868 . 1869 . 1870 .1871 .1872 .1873 ...
In poetry: 1860 1861 1862 -1863- 1864 1865 1866
|Art .Archaeology .Architecture .Literature .Music .Philosophy .Science +...|
The year 1863 in literature involved some significant literary events and new works.
- June 13 - Samuel Butler's dystopian article "Darwin among the Machines" is published (as by "Cellarius") in The Press newspaper in Christchurch, New Zealand; it will be incorporated into his novel Erewhon (1872).
- December 29 - An estimated 7000 people attend the funeral of William Makepeace Thackeray at Kensington Gardens, and nearly 2000 are at his burial in Kensal Green Cemetery.
- Establishment in Iași of the Romanian Junimea literary society, a group which will exercise a major influence on Romanian culture until the 1910s.
- Mary Elizabeth Braddon
- Aurora Floyd
- Eleanor's Victory
- Nikolai Chernyshevsky - What Is to Be Done?
- George Eliot - Romola
- Elizabeth Gaskell - Sylvia's Lovers
- Théophile Gautier - Capitan Fracassa
- Edward Everett Hale - The Man Without a Country
- Mary Jane Holmes - Marian Grey
- Julia Kavanagh - Queen Mab
- Charles Kingsley - The Water-Babies, A Fairy Tale for a Land Baby (complete in book form)
- Sheridan Le Fanu - The House by the Churchyard
- Mrs Oliphant - Salem Chapel, first of The Chronicles of Carlingford (in book form)
- Ouida - Held in Bondage
- Miguel Riofrío - La Emancipada (the first Ecuadoran novel)
- Leo Tolstoy - The Cossacks
- John Townsend Trowbridge - Cudjo's Cave
- Giovanni Verga - Sulle Lagune (In the Lagoons)
- Jules Verne - Five Weeks in a Balloon
- Jean Ingelow - "The Prince's Dream"
- William Barnes - Glossary of Dorset Dialect
- Henry Walter Bates - The Naturalist on the River Amazons.
- William Wells Brown - The Black Man: His Antecedents, His Genius and His Achievements
- Francis James Child - Observations on the Language of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales
- Charles Lyell - Geological Evidences of the Antiquity of Man
- Ernest Renan - The Life of Jesus
- February 9 - Anthony Hope, adventure novelist (died 1933)
- March 3 - Arthur Machen, novelist and short story writer (died 1947)
- March 12 - Gabriele D'Annunzio, poet (died 1938)
- April 9 - Henry De Vere Stacpoole, novelist (died 1951)
- April 29
- August 7 - Gene Stratton Porter, American novelist and naturalist (died 1924)
- September 8 - W. W. Jacobs, short story writer (died 1943)
- September 22 - Ferenc Herczeg, dramatist (died 1954)
- November 1 - Arthur Morrison, writer (died 1945)
- November 21 - Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch, novelist (died 1944)
- December 16 - George Santayana, novelist and poet (died 1952)
- May 13 - August Hahn, German Protestant theologian (born 1792)
- July 3 - William Barksdale, Confederate journalist and general (born 1821; killed in action at the Battle of Gettysburg)"
- July 10 - Clement Clarke Moore, "Night Before Christmas" poet (born 1779)
- September 17 - Alfred de Vigny, poet, dramatist and novelist (born 1797)
- September 20 - Jacob Grimm, philologist and fairy-tale author (born 1785)
- October 6 - Frances Trollope, novelist (born 1779)
- October 8 - Richard Whately, theologian (born 1787)
- December 13 - Christian Friedrich Hebbel, German poet and daramatist (born 1813)
- December 17 - Émile Saisset, philosopher (born 1814)
- December 24 - William Makepeace Thackeray, novelist (born 1811; stroke)
- Victorian Web: Grave of William Makepeace Thackeray. Accessed 8 March 2013
- Palmer, Alan; Veronica (1992). The Chronology of British History. London: Century Ltd. pp. 283–284. ISBN 0-7126-5616-2.
- Leavis, Q.D. (1965). Fiction and the Reading Public (2nd ed.). London: Chatto & Windus.
- Poems from the Inner Life by Lizzie Doten. Accessed 8 March 2013
- Everett, Jason M., ed. (2006). "1863". The People's Chronology. Thomson Gale.
- William Barksdale biography, Sons of Confederate Veterans